Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
East Canyon report 11/25/05
After a rough and expensive start to the day the fishing turned out to be pretty good. We were trolling Rapala's longlining and on planners,(forgot the down riggers) around the points near the marina. Ended up netting 6 there and two more over by the dam. Lost about 4 more. Only saw a few other boats on the lake today. Ran into CBR and Bassrods. How did you guys do?
There were alot of people fishing on the bank but I didn't see them catch too many.
Marked a ton of fish down deep like 60'-130' especially over by the dam. I didn't think that the rainbows liked to get down that far but I guess they do.
What other kinds of fish are in East Canyon?
[signature]
thanks for the report elk. there are browns in there and they are down deep
[signature]
The suckers and kokes will run deeper in there. Browns too but I have a feeling they were too busy doing their spawning rituals.

We found down south towards the inlet the fish concentration was quite a bit more and the trout were rolling like crazy.

We were targetting a different species but were un-sucessful in landing any of what we wanted, but the trout were cooperating even though we were tossing different tackle. We only fished for a few hours then we called it quits so we could get prepped for the ice trip tomorrow.

Trout were biting green tube jigs.

Sorry about being the bearer of bad news today. Sad
[signature]
A litlle of the subject, but that picture reel you have have going by your name, is that a N.pike or muskie?
[signature]
Tiger Muskie.
[signature]
CBR - Have you ever caught a kokanee out of East Canyon? If so, do you have pictures? When I was an aquatics technician for the state, we never gillnetted any. They were historically in there but water quality problems (lack of water and pullution) wiped them out - or at least that was my understanding. I would be very interested to see pictures of kokanee caught there.
[signature]
I personally haven't but I have had friends catch them, as well as saw photos last year of small 12 inch kokes caught out of East Canyon.
[signature]
Interesting. Is there any way you can get a hold of those pics? My great curiosity, aside from reasons already stated, stems from the fact that there has not been any observed spawning for at least a couple of decades - thus no viable population. It would be great if they were still hanging on in there.
[signature]
My son and Father in Law went up there on Thanksgiving and fished off the bank with power bait. THey had 4 fish in 2 hours and headed home. Be fun to catch one of those fish down deep and find out what they are!
[signature]