Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Help with design for Pontoon boat wheel
Hello All,

I am working on building a pontoon transportation wheel for my pontoon boat and need help with the design.

My plans so far is to buy a used kids bike so that the wheel diameter will be the right size. I will then take off the fork and cut stem from the bike fork down a few inches.

The problem I am trying to figure out is how to connect the bike fork to the center support frame on my pontoon boat. Basically, how do I connect a round bar to a square bar.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
[signature]
CORRECTION!!

My pontoon boat frame is round so I need help attaching a round bar to round bar. The wheel will be perdendicular at an angle to the pontoon boat.

Thanks again
[signature]
NEVERMIND!!

I figured out I can use an inexpensive bike stem. Once I put togethor my idea, I will post it on this website. I think this will be a great wheel mount.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Love to see creativity. We have pics of a couple of different "home made" 'toon wheels on the board, plus there are now a couple of commercial models available.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here's a couple of pics from BFT member Henereysfork of the simple but effective wheel mount he made and a [url "hthttp://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=157701;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unreadtp://"]LINK TO ORIGINAL POST.[/url][/#0000ff]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=9450;]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=9451;]
[signature]
hi
this is how i made it
i hope you get the picture other wise please ask me
i had some more pictures but they are by mistake deleted from the pc

the wheel can be detachd and it is a great tool to move youre pontoon

[Image: aanpassingenpb004.jpg]

[Image: aanpassingenpb005.jpg]

[Image: aanpassingenpb010.jpg]

johan
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks for posting those pictures again, Johan. The pictures in your original post disappeared. I have some larger files that you sent me, but it looks better with your post.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We haven't heard from you for awhile. I am guessing that it is winter there, and that you do not have much chance to use your pontoon. Some of our lakes in Utah are getting ice now, but there will be some that I can use my float tube on almost all year.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Johan-P,

The wheel looks good. Did you have to do any welding? Where did you get your wheel and fork from?

The idea I am working on is using a bike stem then taking a bike fork and 12 inch wheel from a kids bike. The bike stem will attach directly to the fork and to the round bars on the pontoon boat? I going to dril holes in the bike fork which will allow me to adjust the length similar to the foot bars. If everthing works out, I should be able to stow away the wheel under the ponton boat when it is not being used. I will post pics, when I have it all finished.

Thanks for showing your idea. If mine does not work out, I may ask you for advise.

Regards,

Luvfshn
[signature]
hi luvfshn

this whole setup is weld and made from stainless steel
for the wheel i used one from a kids bike whit the size
12½ x 1.75 x 2¼

i found the pictures back and i think it make it a lot easier to understand
[Image: aanpassingen001.jpg]

[Image: aanpassingen002.jpg]

@ tubedude

well winter is falling here
and i havend fish muts but i am being very busy whit work
so dindt post to muts
but checkt the forum almost weekly
and stil loving it
so i wil try to make more time to post some thing
18 december we go fishing to a special lake here in holland
whit holds trout bigger then 40 inc
i will make a report of that day

johan
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks Don. Here is a [url "http://www.macshaw.com/macshaw1.htm"]WORKING LINK[/url]. It looks well made and worth the $159 price tag for those of us who are "creatively challenged".[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Nice design and weld job Johan!
[signature]