Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smallies on the fly
It is a very slow day at work today, and my gray matter is drifting out to next spring. One of my goals for next year is to catch a "good" Jordanelle smallie on fly with a fly rod. I have done acceptably catching the bronzebacks out there with conventional tackle, but I found myself getting a bit bored with my outings at times. I do not consider myself a very good stillwater flyflinger, so the goal should present a good challenge for me. I imagine craw patterns are a good bet but what else might work. Is there a maniac or senko pattern? (Ok, J/K[Wink]) Also, should I go with an intermediate sinking line or a fast sink? Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.
[signature]
I have caught some nice smallies out of Pineview with a fly rod. I use the intermediate sink. I have done well with buggers in olives and brown, mohair leeches, zonkers, even caught a few on top using a small popper. They put up a real good fight.
[signature]
If the brownbass have moved shallow by the time you get out there, use an intermediate sink line. Try any kind of small minnow type, leach, wooley worm or bugger pattern and do some slow - real slow - stripping with small jerks near the bottom. I would start with black or dark brown colors then go lighter. Craw patterns can work as well - bounce them off the bottom along the rocks with some longish pauses in between strips.

If all else fails, throw a small one blade spinner bait on your line slop on some smelly jelly and slow roll it along some structure.[Wink]
[signature]
[size 1]"If all else fails, throw a small one blade spinner bait on your line slop on some smelly jelly and slow roll it along some structure.[Wink] " [/size][size 1] LOL, Yeah, I have that one down pat. I could also put on a dropshot rig with fast sink line and ring them up that way too. Seriously, I might have to fight all of these impulses when I try this. This might be more challenging than I think. Tight lines.[/size]
[signature]