Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good Flies???
[font "Impact"][#ff4040][size 3]I was wondering what flies work best for those whitefish? I have caught them before using my spinning gear, but I would like to try them with a fly.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
Two of the best flies I found that catch whites are a prince and hares ear. I have also caught them on pheasant tails and copper john's but the most by far are on a prince. Try size 16 with a red tail.

Katghoti
[signature]
A couple more good patterns are 18 disco midge,18 green caddis larva,18 barber scud. They have small mouths so stay small with the flies.
[signature]
It depends on the water ( I presume you are talking about the Weber as it is probably the premier white fish water in the winter)and the time of the year. In the late winter and spring gray scuds and sow bugs are killers along with hears ears as has been mentioned. This time of the year, try as has been mentioned, PT, PN but don't give up on glow bugs yet. they work really well.
[signature]
All of those suggestions will work. I also like to fish serendippity's, WD40's, renegades, and ORS's. All size 16 or smaller.
[signature]
You might want to remember to get your fly down deep. That's where the whities are. Deeper then the browns.
[signature]
[font "Impact"][#ff4040][size 3]Thanks for all the info guys. Looks like I have to get some more flies.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
Get it down to the bottom and you should have no problem hookin' some whites . Early march you can hook them on drys occasionally . If you tie your own flies , I done well with a white scud , orange partridge wet fly , chamios caddis just to add to your list of options . I seen some people use maggots on a spinning rod clean up on them .
[signature]