Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Togiak vs ODC 420
Hi everyone:

Anyone have strong opinions regardingt the TU Togiak vs. the ODC 420? The designs are similar, but the Togiak is rated at 50 pounds more, but about $20 less. I want to pick up one of the two in the next week, so any feedback would be helpful. Thanks.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The Togiak is a good craft, and we have several BFTers who have and like them. The only downside I would have, after owning a Kennebec (TU) is that they make their pockets too small for those of us who like to take larger lure boxes aboard. But, other than that, they are a good buy for the buck.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Apparently I forgot to sign in on the last post. In follow up, any word on the size of pockets on the ODC 420?
[signature]
KEVINKAY, I HAVE BOTH AND LET ME SAY THAT THE TOGIAK IS A HUNDAI AND THE ODC IS A BENZ. ODC IS MUCH BETTER CONSTRUCTED (ALL SEAMS ON THE TOGIAK ARE RIPPING AND/OR STRECHING OPEN) AND HAS BETTER FLOATATION, I'M OVER 250LBS AND I FLOAT BETTER AND HIGHER IN THE ODC. CHECK OUT MY POST A WHILE BACK:

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=220785;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=220785;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread[/url]

GET THE ODC YOU WON'T REGRET IT BUT YOU WILL REGRET THE TOGIAK.....MY 2 CENTS

ATFISHING
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I looked an ODC 420 over fairly closely, but have not got one yet. One of the things I DID look at was the pocket size. They were nice and big, with no small zippered compartments like on the TU products. The pockets on the 420 will hold anything up to a Bill Dunce tackle box. Well, maybe not quite. But they will handle most of the larger lure boxes.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks ATFISHING the pics are great. I'm not a small person either (6'3" 265) so the more floatation the better. I'm going with the ODC.
[signature]
KEVINKAY GLAD I CAN BE OF HELP. DON'T FORGET TO POST AFTER YOUR MAIDEN VOYAGE AND GIVE US YOUR FEED BACK.

TD I TOOK YOUR ADVICE AND CUT THE PARTITIONS OUT OF MINE AND MADE ONE HUGE STORAGE POCKET. I CAN GET TWO LARGE TRAYS AND ONE SMALL ON EACH SIDE

ATFISHING
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks again for the great input, Bro. Your pioneering with the ODC has been a big help.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]About those pockets. I have always believed that you can't be too rich, too thin or have too much pocket space on your float tube. I gotta admit there are a lot of trips that I take out several pounds more gear than I need...but ya never know. Even when you have a pretty good read on conditions and know what to expect there can be situations or bites that develop that you need to be ready for. At least that is my excuse, and I'm stickin' to it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
As far as pockets go on the ODC, they are about the same size as the FC4 but there are a few more smaller pockets around the outside of the main pocket. It turns out to be a little bit more usable space than the FC4 has.

It looks like I'm getting and ODC 420 from Santa this year. That will surely give me a chance to rest my FC4 and keep it on the side for visitors that want to go tubing with me.[cool]
[signature]
[#0000ff]I think I have also convinced "Santa-Babe" that I need to conduct further research into this new and intriguing craft.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Never hurts to have extra gear around, in case friends or "visiting relatives" might wanna join ya on the local waters.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
TubeDude,

At the $110 sale price you can't go wrong. I just wish they had them up here in Canada and offered a similar sale price in Canadian funds. Geesh, you could buy a spare tube for you and the Babe for just over $200. Go ahead and treat yourself. You certainly have my blessing.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I feel so much better about spending that money, now that I have your blessing. Once I get it I will sprinkle it with some holy water. Better yet, I will baptize it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Thank you father.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
HEY FELLOW TUBERS TOOK ADVANTAGE OF THE $110 ODC 420 SALE AND RECIEVED IT A FEW DAYS AGO FOR MY SON [cool]. SO DECIDED TO GO BACK INTO THE CREEK CO. WEB PAGE TO ORDER ANOTHER ONE FOR MY BEST FRIEND FOR CHRISTMAS AND THE PRICE IS BACK TO NORMAL [mad]. YOU THINK MAYBE THEY GOT BOMBARDED WITH ORDERS AND DECIDED $110 WAS NOT A GOOD IDEA ANYMORE? [Wink] OR MAYBE THE SHORT SALE WAS JUST THE ATTENTION THEY NEEDED.

ATFISHING
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Who knows what evil lurks in the minds of merchandisers? I would be willing to bet that there will be some more super savings after the silly season is over. If not, there are usually some killer deals at the Fred Hall show.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Let's all keep our antennas up for any more good prices. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Glad you scored one before the price went back up.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
When does the Fred Hall show happen in your neck of the woods?? Ours will be around the first weekend of March.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Even though we now gots our own Cabelas we still ain't big enough to rate a Fred Hall show over here.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Best we can do is a combo of a cat show, Tupperware party, scrapbooking convention and stink bait booth. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Oh yeah, we do have one big sportsmans expo in the spring. They had a fire last year though, and both booths burned down.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hi All. Picked up the ODC 420 this weekend. Now just need to get her out for a maiden voyage. [cool] I know Creek Company does not have the $110 deal on its website anymore, but I found it for that price here in Seattle, so a little checking at sporting good shops in your area might turn up the same deal. Just a thought.
[signature]
CONGRATS KEVIN [cool]. LET US KNOW HOW IT GOES.

AT
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Happy, happy. Good fer ya.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have been suggesting that all of us who are lusting after one of those goodies look around. There will likely be promotions and sales after the holidays. Right now, all of the big sports outlets are pushing the big buck stuff, like skiing and snowboarding. I would too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As a matter of fact, I went into a local Sportsmans' Warehouse a couple of days ago, to see if they had any left or were going to have any sales. All of the tubes and toons had been put high up on the walls and top shelves. In their normal floor space was a whole lot of ice fishing stuff. Hey, that's just smart merchandising.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good luck on getting your new system set up. Let us know if we can help at all.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
KevinKay,

Congrats on your new purchase. I think you're gonna love it. I look forward to hearing your observations and experiences. Glad you got a good deal.

zonker
[signature]