Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strike Indicators- Fly fishing style
Another thread on the Utah main discussion board, got me thinking about strike indicators/bobbers for fly fishing. One flygoddess and I use in stillwater and moving waters. I suppose you could use them for ice fishing or dropping a jig.
Here's some pictures I took. I used a red wire instead of line so it would show up. Hope you get the gist of it. Works great on stillwater for deep nymphing up to 25' deep.

EA
[signature]
Hey thanx EvilAsh,

I was trying to picture what flygodess was refering to in her description about those. Now that I see it, it is almost the same thing that I have been using for years with the exception of the "line through the middle peg"(that was the part I having difficulty picturing). I use part of a round tooth pick to hold the loop(yea, I loose the tooth pick when a fish strikes - but they are cheap) and the float itself is a little different too. However, I usually don't use a float when I fish that deep unless it is kind of windy or there are waves on the surface - I use the fly line as the indicator when it is calm.
[signature]
I deep nymph allot in the spring and summer with chronimids. In the wind it works great cause it bounces the fly. But, I love calm glass smooth water. I don't have to anchor down. The lakes I fish I use a 20 - 30 ft leader. I admit I have a fish finder to get my depths of the water and where the fish are holding. That determins where I put my strike indicator. I like my fly anywhere from 6" to a foot off the bottom, that is where the indicator goes to work, it suspends the fly off the bottom. I usually have another fly three feet up from the first fly ("Y"connection) to attract cruisers.
I have used the tooth pick ones but, when I found these, I fell in love at how easy they are to use and they are cheap!
I even use them on rivers and they work great.
Flygoddess
[signature]