Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake-Sat. 12/3 Report
Well I fished the Bear with a friend for whitefish this morning. We launched at 8:30am. It was already starting to blow, but wind was out of the west and we fished close to shore. The water near the marina is very turbid due to the NW wind that blew yesterday. Anyway, we used 1/8oz. tubes and fished 9' of water. Caught 13 whitefish and 3 cutts. Two cuts were not clipped and were between 4-5 lbs. Really nice fish, that are still swimming in the lake. The other was just over 4 lbs and he will be joining us for dinner tonight as the featured guest! The whitefish are on their way south to Kaysville to be smoked. The wind blew all day. First out of the west, then the north, the back out of the west. It had to be at least a 25mph wind when we got off the lake around noon and there were foot hight whitecaps INSIDE the marina!!! We saw "Crestliner" at the ramp when we pulled out. He said they caught one cutthroat, but the wind got the best of them. All in all it wasn't red hot, but the water was so turbid I'm surprised we did as well as we did. Sorry, but the camera was left in the truck and I didn't get any pictures.
[signature]
Sounds like a tough day on the water but what the heck sometimes you just have to rough it.

Those 4 and 5 pound cutts are nice fish.

Is the State Parks boat ramp Icey or snow packed?
[signature]
[signature]
Thanks for the report Scott, sounds like a great morning of fishing at the Bear. Were you using any bait when you caught the cutts?
[signature]
The State Park has plowed out a two-lane width on the ramp down to the water. Two boats can launch side by side. The ramp was a little bit snowy/icy, but not too bad. Still needed 4 wheel drive to get back up the ramp though. I'd be safer next time and bring a bag of rock salt just in case you need to salt the ramp down.
[signature]
We were not using any bait on our tube when we caught the cutts. Just bouncing the tubes back to shore right on the bottom. Funny thing is the cutts hit the tubes lighter than the whitefish! But when you set the hook you definitely knew it wasn't a pound and a half whitefish!
[signature]
Hey Scott when you said,"Just bouncing the tubes back to shore right on the bottom." it makes it sound like you were fishing from shore, is that the case?
[signature]
[font "Impact"][#ff4040][size 3]Hey thanks for the great report. I have caught those whitefish before, but never kept any. I didn't know if they were good to eat or not. Next time I will keep a few and try them out.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]