Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
line guides
I have observed two types of line guides on fly rods, double foot "twist type guides and single foot "ring" type guides. Does the type of line guide make any difference in fly rod performance? And, if so, which is better and why?
[signature]
From what I hear...Snake guides are heavier then single foot guides. I'm not sure how much of a difference the weight will actuallly be, I doubt it's much, and I doubt it really makes much of a difference.

I've also heard some guys building their rods claim the snake guides can affect the action of the rod, once again I doubt there is that much difference. If you are building a rod the single foot guides require less filing, wrapping, and finish.

I think it's mostly what you think looks better, I like the single foot.
[signature]
I think the guides do make a difference to the flexability of the blank. If you bend a rod with snake guides you will notice that it squares off at every guide , especially at the light end of the rod, single foot do not do it as much.
[signature]
I don't think it's going to make any difference in anyone's fishing totals. I think if you took 10 single foot guides and 10 double foot snake guides, weighed them, you'd probably get a few grains difference in weight, but not enough for anyone to notice. I don't think it effects the line going thru the guides as some say. I've built single foot rods and I wasn't all that taken with it. With a snake guide you'll have a stronger bond to the rod, and it's a little more durable. As far as flexability is concerned, rod builders have been using them (snake guides) for years, Winston, T&T, Sage, Scott, Orvis, Loomis etc. Squaring off at the guides as James says is most likely thought of in the design of the rod.

EA
[signature]