Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oneida
Ok all you Perch Hunters .... Walleye too.

I'm looking for a few suggestions as how to fish this slow action Res. If you're not familiar with Oneida, It's about 4 miles long ><. Mostly steep banks with rocky points. Flats coming out from the boat ramps have always marked fish but may be the dreaded carp which this place is full of. Around 65' at the dam heading up river to fairly shallow at the river inlet. There is a hot spring a little ways below the inlet (sorry I don't remember exactly how far). Quite a bit of vegetation around the inlet but not much down toward the dam.

Any ideas as to what depth and location I should target? For Walleye? For Perch? Durn carp are everywhere, so that may be why it's so slow. Probably supplying bigger fish with plenty of small ones to eat.
[signature]
I have ice fished oneida a few times with limited success. I have the same issue with marking fish and not getting anything. I really don't have a clue on how to catch walleye out of there. I am determined to figure it out though. Let me know when you will be going and I'll try to make it.

BMURR
[signature]
Sounds good! Did you hook into any of the perch?

Had a little time to kill today while heading toward Brigham. I stopped by Winder Res and it's capped but doesn't look very thick. Newton was about half iced but also not thick. Cutler and Mantua looked fairly open. Just looking at Mantua from the Hiway.

What is the Benson? Marina west of Smithfield?
[signature]
Just checked the Utah board .... Mantua is clear ice and not yet safe. Sorry about that.
[signature]
I have only fished it once with no success. The river below it is great for flyfishing. Many travel there to fish the river.
Sounds like you made the rounds.
[signature]
I am hoping to at least pull a few perch out of there so I can say I caught a fish out of Oneida.

I decided to go in at the Winder turn off and do the circle and catch the three Reservoirs but I missed the turn off to Condi. I'll check it another day.
[signature]