Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
big fish
What fish has given you the best fight on the fly?

For me the best fight has been a Sucker on the weber, took me to with in 15' of the end of my backing,thought it was a big Brown as I was doing a river runs through it to get to him.
[signature]
The toughest, most underated fish on the fly has to be big Jack Cravelle, on the flats.

Black sipjack tuna are hot, too.

Yellowfin tuna, and you can have sushi an hour later.

Trout are close to the bottom of the list.
[signature]
[font "Impact"][#ff4040][size 3]I was looking at a magazine at Barnes and Noble the other day and one of them had a guy who caught a Mako Shark on his fly. Now that I bet has to be a pretty good ride on a flyrod. [/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
I hooked into a big striper down at Powell on my fly rod. He would come in and head out down to my backing time and time again. Wipers have given me a good run for the money also.
[signature]
Minersville Reservoir rainbows put up as good a fight as anything I've ever caught.

Of course, I have lost some other fish, that obviously fought better, 'cause I didn't catch 'em!
[signature]
I have had two fish take me into my backing, and that was in a kick boat, where I had to turn around and chase them.
One was at Mantua. Big Bow, that was a few years back before someone decided to introduce a new species to the water. The second, a hybrid, this year at Henry's Lake. Both were over 26" and weight acording to my fish scale around 7-9 lbs. The picture of the Hybrid is on [url "http://www.pbase.com/albot"]www.pbase.com/albot[/url]. This one burned my fingers (the line)when he took off.
Fly Goddess
[signature]
Salmon...it can be a little scary thinking that you are very near the end of your backing and you are at risk for losing your fly line.
[signature]
That's why you tie your backing to your spool. The tippet is giong to break long before the flyline or backing will.
[signature]
ah um, maybe! unless you are useing 30 lb tippet.
[signature]
It's not the knot holding your backing to the reel, it's the knot holding fly line to backing. Two different kinds of material. I put a dab of Zap-A-Gap on the knot and pray that, that is enuff. While fishing at Hebgen this year my fly got caught on an underwater tree (those of you who have fished there, know what I am talking about) and I kept pullin the line trying to break the tippet and the fly line broke in half and it was new line (Orvis clear intermediate for inquiring minds). Also a associate was fishing Alaska with a multi tip line, hooked a salmon and line to backing broke, by, by $129.00 line)
I say if you can run like h$#&ll safetly and keep that fish from hitting backing, GO FOR IT!
[signature]
This question is always hard to answer.

There are species that generally fight hard, like wipers or smallmouth. Some have been specific fish, like the biggest bow I've ever caught. Some have been the fish I've had to work hard for, so the stakes were high while I had them on the line, like tiger musky or lake trout.

It is all about getting the blood pumping!
[signature]
A little fishy told me you don't like to fish for trout anymore. Is this really true?

EA
[signature]
Wink I have to fish for trout to be accepted by my peers.

come on Ash... you know be better than that.

I was looking...no begging to find some people to go with me to chase lake trout before it got so dang cold. I may still go up at some point to try for whitefish...they aren't trout but they are close. Wanna come?
[signature]
22" whitefish on the South Fork of the Ogden. Hit my SOS fly and ran up and down the river. Took me 20 minutes to get it to land and I almost hit my backing twice.

katghoti
[signature]
way to go katghotl! White fish don't shake their heads (at least the ones I've caught) like trout but they are like pulling in a bag of sugar, the same with bass and muskie's. What a rush! I caught a bunch up in Idaho Falls Thanksgiving day and the minute they see you they take off running again. The ones up there were small 18"-20". The ones I catch at Hebgen are 24" and up, but again it feels like you are bringing in a rock.
Fly Goddess
[signature]
Yea they can sure spice up a slow day of fishing. I have caught some up to 24" on the weber and the sure like to run. Many times a slow day of fishing on the Weber was made good with whites. People like to trash em, but they are about the only natives left.

katghoti
[signature]
Where you gonna go for lakers that's not froze over by now? Might have to settle for Croyden fishing for whities when it get's about 13 degrees above.
[signature]
All you have to do is try to hold a 20 inch whitefish in yoiur hand to feel their strength and pound for pound power. They aren't much for looks and they don't jump much(however I have seen them jump) but pound for pound they fight as much or more than any other fish. On still water I like the fight of tiger trout. They do everything, jump, run, shake, good fighters.
[signature]
We like to take our 2wt and 3 wt up to Washington Lake (Uintas) cause the stock it with Tiger Trout and I'll tell you, even those little 6"-8" put up a fight. I love it! I would like to get down south this new year and catch a little bigger tiger. That would make my year.
Fly Goddess
[signature]
Fresh Chinook. The type that are all silvery and still have sea lice. I don't believe there is a fresh water fish that will tear you up faster. They put Musky, Lakers, and Smallies all to shame.
[signature]