Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So I'm an elitest pig
I fish a bamboo rod on rivers and streams. It's slow, organic (although it makes no difference to me) and magic to cast. Hard to describe. I do fish graphite rods on stillwater and larger rivers. Anyway my question is how many out there fish glass? Old, new, cheap (Skaggs Drugstore cira 1972), expensive, grandpa's etc. If you have them and don't fish them why not? I'm thinking seriously about glass.

EA
[signature]
I've never bought anything more expensive than cortland, and I've been entirely happy with them. I can't imagine wanting to spend hundreds of dollars on a rod. I spend more on bowling balls than fishing poles. What's wrong with me?
[signature]
It is always interesting trying something new or descover something old. I have fished a lot of different rods(students bring strange things to the river) sometimes it is fun to use glass or bamboo or even steel rods but there is good reason for Graphite. Some of the newer glass rods sure do look fun to try. I am sorry I do not see the magic of Bamboo they tend to be heavy and hard for me to control. My first rod was Glass I built myself,it was a piece,I actually threw it in a lake on purpose,later I went and retrieved it.

Is your Bamboo a newer model or a hand down from generation to generation?
[signature]
My grandfather gave me a bamboo flyrod when I was 10 or 11 and I fished with it most of my life. I finally got a grahite rod for two reasons: One, I got thinking that that old bamboo rod is worth too much both monitarily and nostalgically to risk breaking. And two, I got older and the old bamboo was too heavy especially with the automatic reel I used to fish with. I have to admit that my graphite rod(s) are lighter and easier for me to use now. The technology has also made more customization of rods (different actions and different weights built in to the rod). The only problem is that a flyfisherman can get spoiled real easily with technology. My taste is getting more expensive but my income is not keeping up. Oh yea, my bamboo rod is hanging on my livingroom wall crossed with another one I inherited from my grandfather with an old basket creel hanging from the hanger where they cross and and old fishing hat hanging from the same hanger. They look great there!
[signature]
James, mine is a modern rod. Actual weight is 3 5/8 oz. for a 4w. My LT5 (graphite) is a 5pc. and weighs 3 1/4 oz and is a foot longer. I'm pretty sure my SP is about the same. Yes the 'boo does weigh more, but not that much, that I notice.
I think with the proper reel to balance out the rod, the weight question is moot. It's the same with graphite rods. A large arbor reel on a 3w (graphite, glass or bamboo) will really make that rod unbalanced if it's not the right size reel. I look at guys trying rods out in a store and say the balance is great. They balance it on the front of the cork without a reel on it. A proper sized reel makes a big difference in comfort.
Yes I'll agree some of the older bamboo and fiberglass rods, (which flygoddess has a hand me down from her grandfather) are quite heavy. One day, we'll meet up and fish and I'll let you give it a whirl.
I like slower rods, what can I say.

EA
[signature]
mateo, nothings wrong with you. Different strokes for different folks. Guys at work can't see how I can spend the big $$$$'s on a flyrod. After all it's just a fishing pole, right? These same guys will have a big boy toy fetish and own 2 or 3 ATV's, a snowmobile or two, pull them with a Ford Club Cab F350 Powerstroke w/8" lift kit and Mickey Thompson skins, while their wife pulls the camping trailer and PWC's with the Excursion/Suburban.
I know another guy that scoffs at what I spend fishing. What's his hobby? R/C race cars. Now that's inexpensive right?[Wink].
Like I said, different strokes.
[signature]
That reminds me of the book "Trout Bum" by John Geirach.

[shocked]"A couple hundred dollars for a fishing pole!?" response: "9,000$ for a car? I only paid 500$ for mine."[Wink]

I've read several of Gierach's books (he's all about split cane rods) and it has given me the itch to get a nice bamboo rod someday when I can afford it.
[signature]
Scotty P, check out this website
[url "http://www.utahbambooflyrods.com/new_page_1.htm"]http://www.utahbambooflyrods.com/new_page_1.htm[/url]
He also sells blanks for a decent price. Just found this guy the other day. KUTV did a report on it.

EA
[signature]
Thanks for the link evilash. Those rods look pretty nice. When I do get a bamboo I'll probably build it. I've put one graphite together so far and it turned out okay. I'm thinking of building a sage XP next and then maybe I'll feel competent enough to build a bamboo.
[signature]
I bought a 3 piece bamboo 7' 4wt while working for a local fly store (reason one because of the price - discount and two cause it is what my grandfther use to use).
I seriously love it. I can catch more fish on this, specially when fish are hitting very light. You can feel everything, which makes using those size 30 - 32 flies easy.
I am spoiled, I have several rods in all weights with different action for different types of fishing. Very stiff and longer for windy days or roll casting and slow action for delicate and FUN!
I agree that we need to hook up with you guys and let you try these bamboos. They are unbelievable. I too would like to try a newer glass in 4wt - 5wt.
Not to sound like a snob, but rather you get what you pay for, looking on line last night at those bamboo rods ranging in price from $49.00 - $200. probably do weigh a ton, but ash and myself are talking the newer $1,600. and up bamboo's. Fit them with a nice light weight reel and some of that Cortland 444 Sylk and you will think that you have died and gone to fishing heaven.
[signature]