Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi folks
Hi all

I discovered recently that my wife has ordered a wonderful Christmas present for me (she is unaware of my discovery, as I do not want to spoil her surprize) - a Fishcat 4 Deluxe. To say the least I am over the moon. I immediately set about finding out all i could about this baby so that I will be prepared and equipped come Spring. In my search, I disovered this gem of a site. This will be my first tube, so I would like to introduce myself with a little history, and promise not to put you to sleep.

I am originally from South Africa (arrived in the good 'ol US in '97)and have been fishing for nearly 32 years, and all over the world and mostly salt walter.
The only freshwater I had ever done was fly fishing to which I had been introduced in late '94. However South Africa is not exactly a Trout Mecca, to say the least. It wasn't until I arrived in this wonderful country that I waas able to experience truly great fly fishing. Just when I thought it could not get any better, it did.

My wife and I were fishing in a small resevoir in upstate New York at the beginning of the Spring, flipping spinner baits and Rapalas for Pickerel when fate handed me an evil drug.
My Pole bowed, my line strained and my blood rushed. My mind wrestled with my andrenaline soaked muscles to maintain control of myself for fear of my bowels letting lose. I was all too convinced I had hooked into a monster pickerel when suddenly the surface broke and a small largemouth bass tail-danced the glistening ripples for me! This splendoured sight was repeated several times for me before my exhausted aquatic acrobat sidled up to my legs and gave in.
It was the first bass I had ever caught. It was a mere 1lb3oz, but it had felt like a sailfish to me. Thereafter not a bass fishing show or article escaped my searching gaze in my quest to learn everything i could about this hydro-athlete so that I may have that spectacle replayed over and over.
Soon my wife and I were hiking into dense forest, crossing knee-deep mud and braving all fauna and flora barring our way to these hidden treasure troves hinting at the promise of big bass.
Well it seems, we had arrived at a new challenge. Many of these places we would visit only allowed limited access to wader-clad bass hunters. It was time to up the stakes and get into every nook and crannie on every lake we could.
A float tube was the obvious choice. I had spent weeks toying with the idea of getting my wife and I one, but decided to wait 'till next year. It seems my wife has beaten me to it! God I love her!

And now I have found this wondeful community. Yehaaw! Looks like next year is going to be a cooker!

AB
[signature]
Welcome to the board, ABT! Glad you found this little group of crazies. Since you are looking forward to finding your way around hard to reach bass places, you've made the right choice in tubing. You'll learn it all here - and if there's something we missed here, just ask and it'll pop right up there on your screen, likely before the day is out. Your first post is an indicator that you like to contribute, so bring it on.

By the way, the only thing that pulls harder, pound for pound, than an ol' largemouth is his first cousin, the smallmouth. Hope you hook one of those very soon, too.

zonker
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]A hearty welcome to you, sir. Sounds like you have had the proper preparation to make you suitably appreciative of the fine sport of float tubing. If you have not already done so, spend some time clicking on the different links for "Best of the Best", and also going over to the Picture Board for float tubing. These will provide lots of good background information and pictures of how to potentially set up your new craft for maximum enjoyment and efficiency.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am somewhat familiar with upstate New York, having had a son-in-law stationed at Fort Drum, near Watertown, for awhile. I did not have the time to investigate much of the fishing potential up there, but I know there is plenty for someone who has both the time and the inclination.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As Zonker has suggested, you really need to search out some good smallmouth bass waters. If you think largemouth bass are battlers, you will have to have the Smile surgically removed from your face after a day of smallmouth fishing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That entire St Lawrence waterway system up there is prime fishing for many species, including both smallmouth and largemouth. You also have the real chance of hooking into a muskie over 60 pounds in that area.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I know you are excited about "Santa Claus" bringing your new float tube, but just breathe through your nose and try to keep your mind occupied.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Welcome to our fun family. We look forward to helping you get properly launched and getting some reports from you.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the hearty welcome folks!

Smallmouth - aye! aye! They are definately superior fighters to bigmouth!
The wifey and I have had a couple of those wonderful critters in a few places. Best was on the Delaware in the strong waters between the rapids and the calm stretches. Nothing relly big yet though Sad
Was in Utah just a few weeks back. tried for some smallmouth in Jordanelle and Deer Creek, but nadda. however we did go do a little fly fishing on the upper Provo with great success. My wife caught an 18" 3 1/2 pounder brown on a silver-tag, red and yellow Panther Martin spinning a deep hole. We got about seven others over two days averaging between 12" and 16".
We went to Utah specifically to try and bag some of those infamous Jordanelle smallies. Oh well, perhaps next time ....

ABT
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You need to schedule some time in the summer to come play with our Utah smallies. They start hitting well in about late May and are pretty active through September. After that they go deeper and are more difficult to find and catch.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Plan to bring your tubes next time and give us some notice. We will make sure you are properly introduced to some decent smallmouths. Other fish too, if you are not too proud.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hi and welcome aboard the BFT and Tubing forum. We will all be anxious to see a pic of your new floating friend once it arrives and you get it tricked out to your likings.

Please feel free ask us for any advice or information. Also, don't be shy to share any advice and expertise that you may have as well.[cool]
[signature]
Please allow me to also welcome you to the BFT Float Tubing Forum. This is a great site with information posted by some of the most knowledgible tubers around. I have only been here on the forum for a short while myself, but, feel very welcome here too.

By the way, I had my introduction to Smallmouth Bass a few years ago on Idaho waters from a float tube. My god! What a set of shoulders on those smallies. I wish I had more time to travel around and fish smallies more often.

Anyway, glad you are here!
[url "http://tubintimes.mywowbb.com"]http://tubintimes.mywowbb.com[/url]
[signature]
ADICTED WELCOME ABOARD THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST FLOAT TUBING SITE, THERE'S A TON OF INFO IN HERE AND SOME VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE FOLKS TO PICK GRAY MATTER FROM, SO GET STARTED YOUR WAY BEHIND[Wink]

ATFISHING
[signature]