Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing fly lines while tubing
[cool][#0000ff]One of the fly flingers on the Float Tube board just posted up a good step by step process for changing out fly lines while confined to a tube or 'toon. Thought it might be worth sharing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=231803;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]LINK TO POST[/url][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks Dude!
[signature]
TD, I'm lazy. My kickboat has 3 rod holders. So I take 4 rods. Floating, intermediate clear, type II and type IV or depth charge. But then again I have the room and they don't get in the way, but Zonker has the right idea for tubin'.
[signature]
When I'm too far from shore I change lines like that... but I have to be a long way from shore.

Rods and reels can be replaced if they are broken...but there is nothing you can do about it when your gear is at the bottom of the lake!
[signature]
Cabella's sales rod leashes, I made my own. I don't leave shore without attaching one to the rod. I know the warrenty on my rods is i just have to send in the but section and make up a story on how the tip went floating down the river LOL.
[signature]
I use leashes as well - not just for my rods though. But, on those few occassions where I do change out lines, I've always leased both pieces of the rod before dismantling it - I'm respect my own clumbsyness. Here's a couple of photos of my leashes - I got them for a quarter apiece so it was very affordable, and they've also saved me a lot of money.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=13463;]

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=13464;]

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=13465;]
[signature]
Hi guys and girls,

Didn't realize the party had moved into the next room or I would have joined you all sooner. I did check my deoderant to be sure I wasn't the cause.[Wink]

I have yet to lose my first rod overboard. And that's after 45 years of fly fishing. However, fishhound, I do like the idea of the leashes. And I also like the idea you have of making your own. Those would probably cost 25 bucks apiece in a fly shop.

Maybe I need to revise my instructions about changing lines in a tube to include a quick clip of both pieces of the rod first. BTW, how do you clip them? I would assume that maybe you put the swivel end through an eye or maybe the hook keeper. Eh?

zonker

[signature]
Glad you found your way here Zonker. Have fun!
[signature]