Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heber Area
My mom and dad just moved to Heber and want to take the kids and visit. So if I am going I might as well fish. However, I have never fished this area before (okay I have never fished the provo before), my home waters are the weber and south fork. Anyway, I will up the 26th and 27th of December and wanted to wet a line. Anyone know where to go in the area, what to use?

Thanks.
Katghoti
[signature]
Same Tecniques you are already useing will work on the provo. A few weeks ago zebra midges worked the best for me. just make sure you are getting enough weight on and your leader is long enough.
[signature]

There is plenty of public access to the Middle Provo (between Jordanell and Deer Creek) as it runs right through the Heber Valley. Ther are parking lots for fisherman access with restrooms. They are well signed. You just have to look for them.
[signature]
The lower Provo and the upper provo are also a short drive from Heber. Also, if you do any still water fly fishing Deer Creek was ice free as of yesterday and Jordanelle was reported as ice free exept for some ice forming on the Provo arm. Standard provo sow bugs, midge larva, pt's and he's should produce fish, as well as egg patterns.
[signature]
Think very tiny on the Provo this time of year. I am generally using size 28 - 32 bunny midges right now. Also small copper johns and pupas.
I do recommend a good wading staff.
There are some great spots on the middle. The lower Provo seems to house bigger fish, but, it is so darn hard to get to right now from Heber.
This is my favorite time to fish the Provo, and I am going to be guiding for one of the local fly shops up there in 2006.
Maybe we will meet up.
[signature]
ScottyP , If you are referring to the "upper Provo" river above Jordanelle . I believe it is ice capped now . So bring some ice gear .
[signature]