Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snow Plowing The Berry
I have read on the DWR site about the new plowing deal,but it fails to say "where on the Berry" they will plow.Do any of you guys know what parking areas they will keep open this winter and if they will plow to S.C. marina??
[signature]
I hope B4B chimes in here cause my info comes second hand from him. He was at mud creek yesterday and then went over to the marina and talked to the guy running the store. Sounds like there is a little power struggle going on around there. Right now I believe the forest service is plowing down to mud creek and right in front of the store and lodge at the marina. The parking lot is NOT plowed at the marina and there is probably only 20 parking spots in front of the store and around the gas pumps. These are being reserved for the store, people staying at the lodge, and people renting snowmobiles. B4B was told that they will NOT let fishermen park in there on the weekends because they need the room for their paying customers. During the week it would probably be ok to park there. The guy at the store said that if he had it his way he would plow the parking area cause more people means more business for the store but he has been warned by the forest service not to plow the parking area or else they will revoke his operating permit for the both the store and the lodge. I'm not sure why...... But for now the parking area is under 2 feet of snow and the edges where some snow has been pushed into from the plowing of the main road is even deeper so vehicle access isn't going to happen. The guy at the store mentioned that some agreement (new contract) has to be reached by Dec 26th or all plowing may be stopped including mud creek and maybe even in front of the store....

Hopefully I got most of that info correct since I am just relaying what I was told. B4B and MGB please correct me or add more details if you have them. B4B also said he has a phone # for the forest service that we can call and voice our concerns about needing access to fish. He said he will post it.

I know the DWR article says they are going to keep 4 areas open for ice fishing ([url "http://wildlife.utah.gov/news/05-11/strawberry.php"]http://wildlife.utah.gov/news/05-11/strawberry.php[/url])
but I don't know if that is a done deal or not and I don't know which 4 areas those are....

This is a big concern if we can't access the lake to fish. Hope they get everything worked out!!!
[signature]
I called the number I was given and it was to the Heber Ranger Dist. Office.The person I spoke to said that they will have the contract for snow removal at Strawberry decided by the week of Dec. 26th. The individual also said that they will continue plowing the areas that are currently being plowed now! which does not include the marina parking lot! So if you are heading up to the marina you will not be able to park if you are not staying at the lodge, or renting snowmobils. The area that is plowed by the lodge and store are for his business access, so please understand his position,so don't give him a hard time if you are not allowed to park! he is not allowed to plow the rest of the parking area because it is not in his contract. But he has put in a bid to do so. The individual at the Ranger Dist. Office said if any one has any questions on snow removal call their office at 1-435-654-0470 and ask the operator for current access conditions at Strawberry and they will update you on the areas that are plowed and accessible. I hope this info. helps? Oh... I almost forgot to give my fishing report, I was the first one in the parking lot on wed. arrived around 7:00 a.m. fish until 1:30 p.m. iced 15 fish using the usual white colored tubes and foxees tipped with minnows, all and all it was great day of vacation... well spent!!! B4B
[signature]
So.... where does one park now in they want to fish the marina? Sounds like snowmobile might be the answer. Drop off the stuff, park the truck and snowmobile back and park it in the lot!! [unsure] Alot of work to just fish there!! I'm hoping to go Sat., but worried it might be a mad house if everyone ends up at the couple of parking lots actually plowed. This is going to be an ugly couple of weeks!!
[signature]