Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Braided or firline or neither for Ice??
I would like your take on braided or fireline or neither when it comes to ice fishing.I was thinking of using it this ice season,becasue I love the feel and small test(dia) of light line.Any input would be great..[Wink]
[signature]
The "no stretch" factor with FireLine make it great for all fishing situations. I use it on a couple of my ice rigs. I just attach my flasher to it, and then drop 16" or so of mono below it to hold my jig.
It works great, and I've never seen any real difference with catch rates while fishing with someone using only mono. Especially under the ice.
[signature]
I love braided line or the fireline for ice fishing. the only drawback comes with temperature, it will freeze and get sticky on your reel. i fish mostly inside a hut and the temperature is generally warm enough.
[signature]
I tried a braided line once for ice fishing thinking I would be able to detect the light bite. I think it worked okay for that. The one problem I had with it was the large amount of water it brought with it when you reeled it in. When it is really cold you will have alot of ice build up in your equipment.
[signature]
Kix are for kids, and braids is for girls! Ha! Just kidding'! [Wink]

Actually I use braid for small species when the bite is very soft. I agree,, it soaks up water like a sponge and is tougher to deal with in very cold temps.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I, personally, like Fireline on the ice. Since its fused, it doesn't absorb water like true braids like spiderwire does. That stuff will grow to twice it's diameter with the water it absorbs and then freezes. [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I'm currently trying out PowerPro Ice line. Supposedly, it has less water retention and ice is less prone to stick to it. The down side is that it comes in 75 yard rolls which don't come close to filling a reel. I'll post up more info as I start really using it.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]