Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have you?
Ever tied a fly from dryer lint,belly button lint or pocket lint? What strange material have you used to tie a fly? Human hair? Dog or cat?
[signature]
My Beagle has white, brown, and black hair. But since it is so short I have to pull it out instead of just cutting it. Now when he sees me pull out the tying tools he disappears.
[signature]
My hound's shedded fur. I call them my Hound's Hair nymphs. They've worked for every kind of fish I've targeted with them and a few that I hadn't. They're especially good for Carp. I've never used them in the winter, because the smallest I've tied with it is an 18. I've also used it for dubbing or other parts on some standard patterns. Personally, I think the reason it works so well is because of the stinky smelly residue of the stuff the hounds find to roll in, Or, maybe the fish just like the taste of hounds as much as the hounds like the taste of fish.
[signature]
I was tying some Royal Wulffs and the calf tail was driving me crazy so I coaxed the kitty over and took a snip of fur. It stacked pretty good in the stacker and was alot easier to work with than the calf tail fur. He has nice white fur with grey areas. I've been eyeballing that grey fur for some sowbug and adams dubbing but haven't tried it yet[sly]
[signature]
Before I ever learned how to tie flies, I was fishing at the Green one July morning. I had left all the flies that I had bought for the trip back home. I paid an arm and a leg for a few dries in Dutch John and was not doing very well with them. I saw a guy bring in one trout after another after another. When he came to the shore, I asked him what he was using. He set me up with a very small fly that he called a cream caddis. I had not heard of the fly but I used it with great success. I lost a lot because the fly was so small.
I didn't want to loose it so I too it off and went back to the fly shop to buy some. They didn't have any.
I went back to my trailer and found some small salmon egg hooks and an old frayed towel. I tied a string from the towel to the hook and made a black thread head. It looked close to the fly that the guy gave to me.
WOW that thing caught trout for me for the rest of the trip! I was hooked and I have been tying my own flies ever sense then.
[signature]