Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
minnows
Just wondering where is the best place to buy minnows for ice fishing. I have never used them before but have seen a lot of reports saying to use minnows instead of meal or wax worms this year.Also are they pretty much standard size, do you use the whole minnow or just a half or maybe even a quater. Any info would be helpful
[signature]
You can buy them at any of the usual sporting good stores. Chubs or shiners are the most popular. I've learned this year that chubs hold up alot better if you can find them. I usually put about a dime sized piece on, but MGB (the man) mentioned put a piece on to match the size of your jig. Makes sense. Put a big hunk of meat on a little 1/16 ice fly... does sound odd. [unsure]

Don't leave your waxies/mealies at home though. They can still be picky and some days they will ignore minnows, just like they ignore the others.
[signature]
hey UTMTNMAN the best way to get minnows is to trap them or net them your self.. that way you get them from the waters your planing to fish.. and they are fresh and you know that they are fresh.. just like any meat thay can go bad in the freezer and them frezzers in the stores can get alot of pepole in it in a day.. and again you never know how old the bait is anyway..
but here some tip's on looking for fresh frozen minnows..
1. look at the color of the minnows good color is the first good sign
2. look at the bag and see if you can see any yellow on the fish or in the ice around the fish.. this happens when the oil starts to leech out of the minnows..it means that the minnows have been in there a long time or frozen a long time..
3. look for freezer burn again bad packageing or old minnows..
4. look at scales of the minnows if they are starting to wrinkel or disfourm then they have thawed out once or twice and refrozen..

good fresh minnows can make a big diffrents in catching some fish or catching a lot of fish!!
[signature]
If you are going to Strawberry, kentofnsl clued me into Days market and Smith's in Heber both have minnows.
[signature]
The Hub in Heber had some nice looking ones last sunday, if youre cutting them up I guess it doesn't matter what size you have, if you're useing them hole it's a gip to buy em frozen because you get all diferent sizes and only a few are ideal, small jig use a tail, medium jig use half, big jig use whole minnow
[signature]
How much are you guys paying for minnows?
[signature]