Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheers to All!
[#ff0000][size 3]I stopped by a little shop in Kaysville that a friend told me about where I learned about this site. In all honesty (from a fisherman?) I’m a bit of a fair weather sort, but not opposed to putting on the X-country skis and drilling a few holes into Hyrum on occasion. One of the things I like to do is catch a new species or two every year. I grew up in Montana so I’ve about got all of the cold water ones down and am now looking to “warmer” waters. It looks like there are a lot of fans of Willard Bay around here. I’ve only stopped by there once to goof off and caught a 15-inch small mouth off of the dike. (Beginners luck.) I’m looking to chase Stripers, (I just wrote Strippers by mistake and my spell checker didn’t catch it-but my wife sure did) and Wipers, and Walleye, and Whatever this year. Any info would be greatly much appreciated![/size][/#ff0000]
[signature]
Well if you want info on willard, you came to the right spot. There are several willard fanatics here. this time of year, you will be the only one out there. The wiper tends to get a bit lethargic with the cooler water temps, but the walleye should be fair for fishing. You should be able to pick up bolth lindy rigging with no snagg sinkers and floating a worm on a snell. The key will be a slow drift through areas holding fish. A light wind would be excellent, but if its calm, you may have to use an electric motor. If you are looking for ice fishing on willard, it doesnt look to promising this year. The ice on the main resivior seldom gets good consistent ice that is safe for fishing, but the crappie fishing through the ice in the marina is usually available. If you really want the scoop on willard fishing, stick around for a few months, as soon as april hits, things will be in full swing here.
[signature]
[reply]
[#ff0000][size 3]I stopped by a little shop in Kaysville that a friend told me about where I learned about this site. In all honesty (from a fisherman?) I’m a bit of a fair weather sort, but not opposed to putting on the X-country skis and drilling a few holes into Hyrum on occasion. One of the things I like to do is catch a new species or two every year. I grew up in Montana so I’ve about got all of the cold water ones down and am now looking to “warmer” waters. It looks like there are a lot of fans of Willard Bay around here. I’ve only stopped by there once to goof off and caught a 15-inch small mouth off of the dike. (Beginners luck.) I’m looking to chase Stripers, (I just wrote Strippers by mistake and my spell checker didn’t catch it-but my wife sure did) and Wipers, and Walleye, and Whatever this year. Any info would be greatly much appreciated![/size][/#ff0000] [/reply]

Greetings neveronsundays,

As predator said, This is the place for Willard. Bad thing is you'll have to wait till spring. Once spring time hits this board will be over ran with Willard fanatics (me included). I am curious about your log on. Does this mean you never fish sundays???? Look forward to meeting you on the ice or open water!

Teroy
[signature]
Wipers and walleye huy, well we can help you on that subject. Its good to have you on board, you will find that this is the site you are looking for if you want to learn to fish Willard.
The guy you mentioned at Hooked in Kaysville is a regular here
and when the weather warms he is a good source on what to use at Willard. I'm guessing by your post that you are a shore fisherman? Like Predator said you can catch walleye this time of the year but it is slow and the ice is a little thin, you really need a boat to find the fish and even then it will be hard. Last winter I caught a wiper through the ice in the North marina so it is possible but it will be a lot better when the water starts to warm in the spring. If you make it out for some ice fishing this winter at Hyrum or where ever
we would like to here how you did and look forward to your future post. WH2
[signature]
[size 2]If you want stripers, you'll need to head south to Lake Powell. Right now the upper lake is the place to be, though striper fishing is in the usual cold weather slowdown period. But you can catch them once you find them by baitfishing with anchovies. For details, go to [/size][url "http://www.wayneswords.com"][size 2]www.wayneswords.com[/size][/url][size 2].[/size]
[Smile] I live in Layton and Hooked is a great resource. For any of you that live even close to Kaysville, you should come down and see them. A family of fisherman run it and they have a great selection. Fishing.. fishing.. fishing.. is all they do. If they don't have it, they will get it for you! Also, they usually have a report on everywhere. Unlike most "store boards", they actually go out and let you know. Everyone that works there goes fishing more than most of us and they have info on ID, UT and WY rivers/lakes. They also carry alot of custom made stuff for where you are going. They introduced me to a Water Cricket to try on Currant Creek. I'll never use anything else on that lake through the ice!
[signature]
Where in Kaysville are they located, I am in Roy and wouldn't mind stopping in and handing over a few bills for more gear and have a chat about this and that!!!
[signature]
[font "Arial"][size 2]575 N Main St, Kaysville[/size][/font]

[font "Arial"][size 2]Hit the Layton Hills Mall exit and head south on Main St. or the Kaysville exit and head north on Main. Kinda crammed in between the two exits on Main St.[/size][/font]
[signature]
[#ff0000][size 3]I got a license! I got a license! I got a license! Hey! Hey! Hey! I dropped my sweetie off for class at the university today and headed up Logan Canyon only to remember it was a new year and I hadn’t taken care of that little detail yet. It was beautiful sky and open water to third dam, as far as I got before having my little revelation. I think I’ll try again tomorrow and let ya’ll know how it went. Thanks to all for looking out for us guppies. Let’s see if’n I can answer some questions. If I miss one or two just throw a shovel at me or something to get my attention. [/size][/#ff0000]

[size 3]What a welcome! Looks like I’ll be hanging around ‘till next spring to get the one up on Willard. Hopefully I won’t get as irritating as a Strawberry chub. [/size]

[size 3]Neveronsunday. It is a little deal I made with the Heavens and have only screwed up once I can remember in the last twenty five years – completely amazing for me. [/size]

[size 3]I have a little car top tin can boat with a motor half the hp of my lawnmower I putt around in and two ores for when it doesn’t work the majority of the time. We have to stay within a reasonable distance from shore on big water, but it is excellent for the smaller little ponds. Any kind of whitecap and I am a shore fisherman for the rest of the day. We did take it to the Gorge last summer and Yuba last November and had a riot. [/size]

[size 3]I might have to invite myself to your dinner on ice on the 1st of Feb? I have a camp chef, with a coupla’ dutch ovens and grills that you’re more than welcome to. Let me know and I’ll help with the cooking and bottle washing and such. TTFN.[/size]

[size 3] [/size]

[size 3] [/size]
[signature]
Hey NOS your already invited man. If you can read the thread and ya signed up for BFT, why heck even if you didn't sign up. I bet the board Gods wouldn't mind you showing up. I know that after you did you woulld sign up. A great bunch of guys and gals over here.
[signature]
Thanks for the address, I cannot believe I have not been there before!! I will check it out thursday night or friday. Thanks again, you guy's are great!!!!!!
[signature]
[reply]
[#ff0000][size 3][/size][/#ff0000]
[size 3]I might have to invite myself to your dinner on ice on the 1st of Feb? I have a camp chef, with a coupla’ dutch ovens and grills that you’re more than welcome to. Let me know and I’ll help with the cooking and bottle washing and such. TTFN.[/size] [/reply]
As Road said NOS. No need for an invitation. You are part of the brotherhood now[cool][Wink]. Just show up and enjoy good fishing, always interesting conversation and Old Coots dutch oven cooking!
[signature]