Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roberts-Report
After long negotiations & deliberations I decided to fish close to home on Saturday. Fight4Not joined me along with his father in law and my son.
The morning started out red-hot and it never really cooled down all day. Speaking of redhot I started the morning by burning my hand with liquid propane. I was trying to screw in a can of propane to my heater when the valve stuck open and the gas turned to liquid as it shot out on my hand. I now have some nice blisters on my hand. Anyway back to the fishing...The stocker trout were going crazy from the time that we put in our first pole until we left for the day. We did not keep an exact count but we all agreed that we had landed at least 40 and that was mostly by accident because we were trying to keep them off our hook so we could land more perch. We ended up with 133 perch. The largest was 8 1/2" and most of them were 5-6". We kept them all and I was glad that Fight4Not came over to my house for a fillet lesson.[Wink] Over the last few weeks we have taken out well over 300 and judging by numbers we are still seeing on the aqua-view we have not even made a dent in the population. We also saw Ovidcreek on the ice and it looked like he was doing pretty well.

The best part of the day was watching Fight4Not with his head down the cone of hole trying to watch all the fish. Thanks for a great day.

Windriver
[signature]
Thanks for the report. I am headed out on Thursday and am still trying to decide where to go. If you don't mind me asking, what were the perch biting on?
[signature]
It changed throughout the day but we caught most of them on tear drop ice flies. Ice flies with flashabou tails in pink and green. We caught many with mealworms but the ice flies seemed to do best tipped with a perch eye. Swedish Pimples also did pretty well.

Good Luck
Windriver
[signature]
LIKE WINDRIVER SAID WE HAD A LOT OF FUN CATCHING ALL THOSE FISH. SAT WAS ONE OF THE BEST DAYS FISHING I HAVE HAD FOR A LONG TIME. ROBERTS IS REALLY FUN BECAUSE IT HAS A LOT OF FISH, THE WATER IS CLEAR AND IT IS SHALLOW. YOU CAN SEE DOWN THERE AS IF YOU WERE LOOKING INTO AN AQUARIUM. GREAT DAY!!

WINDRIVER THANKS FOR TAKING US, MY FATHER IN LAW HAD A GREAT TIME. HE REALLY HAD FUN.

FIGHT4NOT
[signature]
Thanks for the info. My friend and I have decided to go to Roberts and not Weston. It is always fun to try new places to ice fish.
[signature]
Thanks for the report guys, and it was nice to talk with both of you on the ice last Saturday. I ended up with 35 perch and 8 trout; not bad for four hours. Right at 5:10-5:20 the trout went into a feeding frenzy! Caught six in ten minutes. I hope Roberts keeps this up for quite a few years, and I hope a winter kill stays away.

OvidCreek
[signature]
Well, I went ice fishing for the first time this year today. I wanted to go to ririe and fish after hearing that the ice was on, but decided against it for fear of the ice getiing soft after the last couple of days. I decided to be safe and go to roberts. In around two and a half hours, I managed to catch 38 perch and 4 trout. The perch seemed to be a little docile today. The trout on the other hand seemed to be more aggressive and kept trying to take pole and all to the bottom of the pond. All in all it was a good day. I can't wait until bsflies gives us an update on ririe. BE CAREFUL and happy holidays.
[signature]
My dad and I went to Roberts on 12/27. We fished from 10am-1pm. The ice was 8-10 inches all around even on the edges. I caught about 50 perch. Only 1 keeper, the rest were 3-5 inches. I also caught a couple of trout about 12 inches each. It was windy and the ice had a little of water on it making for some really slick conditions. There were about 5-6 other groups fishing at different spots on the pond. I had a great time.
[signature]
Welcome to BFT Idaho Guest.
Roberts Gravel Pond is right next to the north bound lane of I-15 about 10 miles North of Idaho Falls.
[signature]