Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Haulover Fishing Report - Knot Nancy Fishing Charters
During this past week, I was out on the windiest day of the week. Chris, Brad, John, and Mike only had a half day break from their conference to get in some fishing. To say it was windy was an understatement. It came from the ESE/SE @ 24 - 30 MPH. We worked our way slowly offshore to 320' straight out from Haulover. Within minutes, we got a strike on the downrigger. That hit lasted for about 30 seconds before the hook pulled. Next we got a flatline bait knocked off and fought another unknown fish for about 20 seconds before that hook too also pulled. Those 3 strikes came outside of 250'. When we got inside of 190', we caught a kingfish on the downrigger. Another kingfish cooperated in 130'.

Neither of the 4 anglers had seen kite fishing before this trip. They caught on to the concept very quickly. While I was checking the bow flatline, I heard some commotion from the anglers tending the kite baits. A bull dolphin ate the short kite bait and the Eagle Claw circle hook did its job. The fish made a trip around the motors and up the starboard side to the bow before it joined the kingfish in the fish box.

All this action took place on the first drift. The next several drifts produced no further strikes. We had to cut the trip short so everyone could make it to the conference on time.

Tarpon fishing has taken a definite up swing turn in the Haulover area. On our trip last evening, Gil Gutierrez and I watched numerous fish feeding at the surface. The action took place in two distinct time frames. The first came during the sundown through dusk period. The next action occurred after the tide change and for about an hour there after. Mixed in with the tarpon were some really big ladyfish. One we had on doubled the 20# outfit over and actually made the drag scream as if we had a tarpon on. It ran toward the bow still pulling drag and like its cousin the tarpon, it threw the hook after making several jumps at boat side. The tarpon were in the 30 - 80 pound class and feasting on live shrimp.

As good as the action on tarpon was last evening, it will continue to get even better with each passing day. The cold fronts have gotten a few shrimp moving and the tarpon have responded very nicely. Watching a tarpon blast shrimp off the surface will definitely get your blood to boiling. When we get the first major shrimp run, the action will be off the scale.

To sum it up, we are into our winter time mode of fishing on both the offshore and inshore arenas. Our friends in the northern part of our great country are now getting blasted with snow, ice, and cold cold weather. It will soon be time for a break from those nasty conditions. The weather in Miami has been beautiful. What we call a cold front is short sleeve shirt and shorts weather to our northern friends. Its time to start putting the winter vacation plans into action. Give me a call or send me an email to book a day or two of fishing as part of those plans. Don't miss out on some great fishing.

Captain Dave Kostyo
Knot Nancy Fishing Charters
305 620-5896 Charter
305 965-9454 Cell
www.knotnancy.com
nkostyo@bellsouth.net
[signature]