Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question....
I never thought of this until now. If you were pretty far out from shore and the tube got a leak, isn't it dangerous being in it? I know I can swim in any depth but with that kind of tube being in the way of trying to get out of it while it "flattens" how do u get out of it? What would u do? I have played with tire tubes in our pool flatten or aired, I don't remember much about troubles as it was in the pool but being out in the lake might be another story....
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That is probably one of the most common "what if" questions to come up from non-tubers and newbie tubers. It IS a real question. A leak in your craft is serious. The good news is that most leaks are only "pinhole" leaks and there is not a sudden deflation of your tube. You will notice that your ride is sitting lower in the water, or that the once-taut cover now has wrinkles in it and you will usually have plenty of time to get back to shore before you have to walk.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The key is to be observant. You need to remain aware of what is going on with your system constantly. You will usually not see bubbles escaping, but you might. If you notice a "softening" of the air chamber(s) then you need to quickly decide whether or not it is a leak, or if you have gone out underinflated...or if maybe the cold water is shrinking your previously full air chamber.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here is a "cut and paste" from the section of my book on dealing with problems afloat:[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[font "Times New Roman"]LEAKY TUBE:[size 3] There are a couple of situations in which a noticeable loss of inflation may not be serious. 1. After a long period of storage. Even the best valves will lose a bit of pressure over time. 2. When transferring your craft from direct warm sunshine…or a hot vehicle…to cold air or into cold water. Hot air contracts when cooled.[/size][/font]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"] [/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]You DO need to be concerned if you begin to notice that you are sitting lower in the water, after you have been fishing for a while. One of the first bad indicators is seeing wrinkles in the cover of your craft. Covers should always be aired up tight. If your cover was taut at the time you launched, and has lost enough pressure to allow wrinkles to form, you may have a problem.[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"] [/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]PREVENTION: [/font][/size] [ol] [li][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]If your craft has a tire inner tube, treat it with preventative sealant before putting it into service. This stuff will help seal pinhole leaks as they occur. It provides peace of mind when you are catching spiny fish, or when carrying your craft through stickery brush, etc.[/font][/size][/li] [li][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Fashion a spine-proof “apron” to hang over the front of your craft, to minimize holes from spiny fish or carelessly handled tackle or knives. Naugahyde works well.[/font][/size][/li] [li][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Don’t let your craft drop onto the ground. There are all kinds of unseen sharp points in the parking lot and the shore where you launch and beach. These hazards lie waiting to put holes in your craft and ruin your trip. Always set your craft down gently, and only on the cleanest surface possible. [/font][/size][/li] [li][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Don’t let spiny fish touch your craft. Control them with a net, or “lip and flip” them, before they can poke a hole in an air chamber.[/font][/size][/li] [li][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Keep all hooks, lures and other sharp pointy things in protective containers. [/font][/size][/li] [li][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Don’t lay rods across your craft with lures or hooks in the keeper rings, or hooked to guides.[/font][/size][/li] [li][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Don’t use a knife to cut bait or anything else on the top of your craft. A brief slip and you will walk ashore. [/font][/size][/li] [li][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Don’t carry your inflated craft through thick brush or trees, especially if they have sharp branches or spines.[/font][/size][/li] [li][b]Take care of your craft. Wash everything off in fresh water and store in a cool, dry place after every trip…in fresh or salt water. This will help prevent dry rot and seam separation.[/li][/ol] [black][size 2]REMEDIES:[/size][/black] [ol] [li]When air loss is evident, inflate craft back to taut-cover status. You may do so on the water, if the valve is accessible and you have a pump on board. Use a tire pump for inner tubes, and pump or lungpower to inflate vinyl or butyl bladders. Carry a piece of plastic tubing to add air to large valves on vinyl chambers while afloat. [/li] [li]If your craft holds pressure, go back to fishing. It was probably a temperature thing.[/li] [li]If air loss is continual, go ashore, take your system apart, locate and repair the leak. [/li] [li]If air loss is dramatic (cut in chamber or split seam), repair the air chamber, if possible. If the damage is too severe, replace it. Extra air chambers and/or repair kits are useful items to carry on every trip. Tire tube repairs require the special adhesive and patches designed for rubber inner tubes. Vinyl chambers typically come with small repair kits. Pinhole leaks are easy to fix, with just a drop of the cement. Larger holes and tears require another piece of vinyl, cut and glued over the hole, with the vinyl cement.[/li][/ol][/b]
[signature]
Always! have a floatation devise with you. I am sure that is the law everywhere.
Check your regs, but where I live you don't have to wear one but, have one on board. I choose a vest and I strap it to the side of my boat with easy reach (It is too uncomfortable to wear it specially in the summer).
I reccomend wearing it on choppy days and floating rivers is a must.
Your gear is replaceable but, you are not!
Also, make sure that there is someone else on the water. I know we all like the remote places but, if you are going out in the water, play it safe.
[signature]
TubeDude, good morning and Merry Christmas to you and your family!
Can I have a little more information on that [font "Times New Roman"]PREVENTION: [/font] [ol] [li][font "Times New Roman"][size 3]If your craft has a tire inner tube, treat it with [#ff0000]preventative sealant[/#ff0000] before putting it into service. This stuff will help seal pinhole leaks as they occur. [/size][/font][/li][/ol]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Is that something you fill in the tire inner tube with some kind of "glue" that is the same as stopping a tire from getting flated?[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3] The old Fishmaster that I have, I'm not sure if it has the oldest inner tube or not but as I got it with it's zipper's long gone. It still looks good and full of air the first day I filled it up when I got the zipper replaced this pass summer. It's in the cold garage on top of my oldest son's Mustang. Every time I walk in there and always look at it. Love it man![/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Ok you say notice a leek and it would be slow and would have enough time to get ashore but if it did kinda flat out fast and that thing does warp around u and traps ya? I remember the lounge air pool thing popped and I was kidding around on it and found it does make it hard to get out it...[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]BTW what did you get for Christmas and what did u give your wife? We didn't open ours yet but I gave my wife all the new things for the kitchen, stove, microwave, dishwasher, whole house windows, handmade cabinets by me and all my time remodeling it. Right now after this (I know it's Christmas day) I'm going to paint the walls so I can start hanging the cabinets tomorrow. Well Merry Christmas to all![/size][/font]
[signature]
I'm not sure what the rules are for tubers in Illinois but I haven't seen one on it yet. (It's not big here as it is out west) I would have to look it up. I kinda hate those life vest in the tube but got to have one and I would need to find a easy one. There is one place we all go to has other tubers there and I haven't seen one of them having one with them. It is a strip mine so those lakes aren't that big but the banks are pretty steep!
Merry Christmas to you and all!
[signature]
Out here on the West Coast, we are required to have a PFD at all times. If on a river or in the ocean it must be worn at all times.

Some of the lakes require it to be worn( per Coast Guard regs) and some only require it to be handy and within reach.

I have on of the fishing vest PFDs. It has a few more pockets for more smaller items and doesn't weigh a whole lot.

In addtion, my FC4 is dual chambered and has the hard foam seat as a backup.[cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have only treated one of my former inner tube air chambers with the sealant. It is a gooey stuff that comes in sqeeze bottles in the tire section of your favorite "big box" store...or at a real tire store. You remove the valve core from the inner tube and then squeeze it in. Then you replace the valve core, partially air up the tube and rotate it so that the sticky stuff coats the outside surface of the tube. Once properly treated, any minor puncture will seal itself.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I would not even think about it for the tube in your antique. Not worth the time and investment. I would replace that tube if you plan to use it for fishing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You have gotten good advice from the others, about the PFD. I had not included that in this section, but it is strongly recommended in other sections on safety and in accessories. Not only is it a law to have one in most states, it is just plain good sense. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A potential for suffering "deflation" is also a good argument for having dual air chambers. If one gets damaged, you still have a full one to keep you afloat and help you get back to shore with minimum loss of tackle and dignity...or worse. The big thing, in all emergencies, is not to panic. Have a plan in place...just in case...and then stay calm and work through it if you find yourself "feeling low". With a second air chamber, or a PFD, you have a good chance of at least staying afloat. After that, you rely on your own personal strength and a lot of luck. Of course a bit of divine intervention can help a lot. Just don't try to walk on water. Most of us are not qualified to pull that one off.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Had a good Christmas at the Tube household. Scored some additional cold weather gear and a BIG new recliner that actually makes me feel petite. Also got the green light to get either a power ice auger or a pontoon...depending on my motivation and after holiday prices.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]TubeBabe got a lot of outdoor wear too. Of course she also got some more personal goodies...and she has me. What more could a lady want? (no answers required)[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[size 1][#0000ff]I would not even think about it for the tube in your antique. Not worth the time and investment. I would replace that tube if you plan to use it for fishing.[/#0000ff] [/size]

[#000000]Good idea, but would I be able to find a "truck" tubes? The one that has those bented valve today? If there is one still around how do I ask for one by the name? i would like to have it ready if someone wants to come along with us tubing and they can use one of our spare. I'm going to try to "grow" this sport so we all can do what you guys are doing![Wink][/#000000]
[signature]
In those tubes like the FC4, ODC 420 or others like that you sit a little high and those PFD don't seems to be pushing up on you, in the Fishmaster it seems to be bothersome while it is pushing up on you all the time as I'm sitting in the water. I would like something small, what brand do u think is better for the kind I have? I would like to have more ideas in case some buddies of mine want to go out in one and I want to think safely. We do have the game warden come around those lakes where we go, I haven't seen one yet. Heard of one was called off the lake because he didn't have something with him. I know we have to have those PFD with while canoeing but we don't have to wear it on.
[signature]
Sometimes anything out there can just be too bulky or cumbersome to some and barely tolerable to others.

As we know that PFD was generally designed for safety and not so much on the stylish nor to let us get too cumfy.

There is a company out there that has kind of met a compromise for the tuber, tuner, yaker and canoe enthusiasts in mind.

SOSpenders would be the answer for lightweight, comfortable, practicle and usable protection. They do meet the USCG regs for the aforementioned water crafts.

They are worn in a flat state and you will only inflate it if you really need to. There is a pull cord on it which will allow it to inflate as need by the wearer.

We had some previous conversation on this in the past and soem very good discussion came out of it. Here is a link to the link in our "Best of the Best" section of the forum. [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=65617;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]Life Vests[/url]

I believe that you can still get those type of life vests at Cabelas. They have a banner ad on the top right hand of all of the BFT pages.

They are a little more money than many of your other types of life vests but if it is comfort that you want with the required protection, then the SOSpenders would be the way to go.[cool]
[signature]
These things are great! Alot of places on the green require floatation devise and we sold alot of suspenders (Alot lighter than the inflate a vest). You can get extra canisters for them too and they are small, easy to pack.
I use a waterskiing zip front vest and as I said I attach it to the side of my boats or FC with it unzipped, if I need it I can just grab it slip it on and zip. They aren't too much money, but, again the suspenders are great. One question though, do yo have to inflate them on rivers or just have them ready to go?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Truck tire inner tubes are getting harder to find, since most truck tires are tubeless these days. You will rarely (if ever) be able to find them at regular tire stores. They stock only passenger and light truck tires and tubes. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You have to go to the Yellow Pages and look up Tire Dealers, and then look for listings or ads that indicate that they carry truck tires. Next, you have to call and verify that they do actually carry truck inner tubes. Then, ask if they have some in the 20" size. If you have the extra large tube, you will need a 22" size.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Truck tire tubes also come in several chamber diameters...8.25", 10" and larger. I always got the 20X10, but the 8.25 is what a lot of the manufacturers (Caddis) provided standard. Those are lighter and not as tough, but they work. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the way, don't let the tire store talk you into buying the higher priced radial tubes. You won't get any better mileage on your float tube with radials.[/#0000ff]

(Edited in. The valve stems are straight when you buy them. You have to bend them to suit your preference when you install them in your tube. You need to use two open end wrenches and bend them slowly. If you just try to bend them over with a pair of vice grips, you will crimp the valve stem. If you get that far, and can't figure it out on your own, let me know and I will do a step by step writeup for you.)
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]On the PFD issue. You have already been offered some good input. I suspect that there is no requirement that you actually wear your PFD while in the tube, but it must be readily accessible. In the Fat Cats, Fish Cats, ODC 420s and similar designs, there is a small storage area behind the seat that is ideal for stuffing your PFD for quick accessibility. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Those SOSpenders are the ticket, if you feel the need to be wearing something, especially in rough water. They inflate quickly, but are almost unnoticeable in their flat state.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have a Stearns vest that is adjustable. I made sure that I have it properly sized to put on and snap if I need it, and then keep it tucked behind my seat. I can also take it with me whenever I join someone else on their boat. I am pretty good sized and it is comforting to know that I have a vest that will work if I need it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
As to whether you inflate it or not in swift water could be more of a personal preference. I would not dare give an personal opinion on this only because I may be too biased on the safety over convenience.

I worked several years as an EMT for the Fire and Rescue for one of my favorite fishing lakes here in SoCal.

Many of the rescues that we did involved persons whom wished they had their vest on and working as opposed to just having it handy. Some of the victims could not be revived to get their take on the matter.[Sad]

As far as rivers go, if you are white water rafting, canoeing or kayaking, the USCG wont allow any type of vest that is not already to full size. We would also have to enforce the same for jet skiis and other PWCs on the lake.

For many types of water sports, there is a delicate fine line between safety and convenience. I would personally error to the side of caution.

All in all, a person will do what they are most comfortable with. I cannot object to that.

Just as a pilot can be considered to be a good/safe one because he/she has lived to an old age, likewise can apply to a tuber, tuner, yaker that has been able to perceive wise judgemental aspects of personal safety.[cool]
[signature]
Thanks for the input Tuben2. I float the snake in fast moving but not white water, just undertows. I imagine though the fact that you are required by law to wear a safety vest that the suspenders would have to be inflated to start, Not to mention that you would want it that way.
Hey, speaking of floating rivers in a pontoon, try taking several links of heavy chain (4 or 5 strands about 6"-8" long) put them on a caribeaner and attach a anchor rope. Works great for an anchor, but also great way to slow you down on rivers. Won't get hung up on trees or rocks.
[signature]
The Snake River is an awesome river to fish. I fished that river many times before I finally moved back to Cali.

There are some nice areas of mellow flow that I remember as well. I also remember some of the tretcherous areas.

I agree with you on the chain anchor. I sometimes use a drift sock to control my tube with the ocean tides. It helps me hold better position when I am fishing shallow bays and estuaries.

The drift sock sure helps save the leg muscles in the long run.[cool]
[signature]