Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake 12/28 evening
This afternoon I thought I'd go out to hit the rock piles again and see if I can let my son catch some fish. Well, I wanted to catch some too, but it just sounds better when I tell my wife that I am taking our son out fishing. She never gives me that stare when I take him with me. Don't get me wrong, I love taking my boy, its just that I get that look that says: "your going again" when I am only going with Bait Caster. We're new to Utah and didn't fish for trout much in California because I don't like to catch stock fish that just go belly up and float to the surface as soon as a hook gets in their mouth. Rainbow retrievers I call them. Throw your hook in, and they grab it and float to the top and bring it back to you. I can't even get my dog to be that consistant. Except for the high mountain lakes and rivers, that's all it was so this is paradise to us. Bait Caster and I had a great time last week when I caught my first Cut at the Bear. Today the conditions looked hopeful as we pulled in with no wind to speak of on a very calm lake with no other boat to be seen. However, the only thing we caught were black and whites. I dropped my camera down to see what was happening and there was nothing. I couldn't even find my pole that went overboard last week. On that occasion, we could see the Cuts everywhere and had a great time as BC reported. We even saw my pole on BC's camera, but it was too windy to hold position and we could't get it, but today, nothing but a few carp mugging for the camera and a couple small schools of whites. I guess I'll troll next time as that seems to be successful this time of year as Bodine sure does well. When I cleaned the Cuts we caught last week, they were full of eggs that were about half the size of a salmon egg so I suspect they were feeding off of the recent Mackinaw spawn. There was one Cut that had 4 whites in his belly; one up to 5" long I just hope to learn more about catching fish here by reading your posts. I sure look forward to seeing that Smile on my son's face when he catches his first Bear Lake trout.
[signature]
Thanks for the report, and welcome aboard! The Bear can be hard on a guy. Some days you can smack them around, and other days, you can't get the skunk off the boat. Oh well, still fun to be fishin'.
[signature]
I use my kids as a reason for going fishing too. Some times I even get out fished by them. When they are in school I say I’m going fishing because my wife and kids like to eat fish. I try to justify the cost of fishing by telling my wife “look how much I’m saving by catching dinner” all I get is funny looks. I need to get a camera so I can see why all the fish I’m marking are not taking what I’m offering. I afraid with the success I had up there last week my next trip I won’t do too well. Guess I better get up there and get it over with.
[signature]
[Tongue]
My last trip to the big bear was with my daughter Little rileyfish and Fish1on. Lil Riley loves to fish and has caught three nice macs at the bear between 9 and 13 pounds. Well, The day after thanksgiving produced 6 nice fish in my boat. Needless to say, They were all caught on lilrileys pole on the same side of the boat. She just flat has the luck. She gave fish1on a bad time all day because he had the skunk. Those trips with the kids are the best and they will forever be thankfull for spending that time with them. LIL riley loves to ice fish and troll. She is not big on jigging. loves to go in to high country lakes and fish. Great times.
[signature]
[size 2][font "Comic Sans MS"][black]Your report is a good read TH. Thanks for sharring it with us. That's a bumer about you loosing that nice pole and reel. Your's is down there resting comfortably with hundreds of others.[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]Again, thanks for sharring.[/black][/font][/size]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][blue][size 3]"Rainbow Retrievers" Thats the funneyest thing I've ever herd!! I'm still laughing!! [Smile] TH you crack me up.[/size][/blue][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#0000ff][size 3] nice report: Sorry the wind didn't want to play fair, We had your Rod & Reel in the view finder, just way to many white caps. Hey TH can we buy a Rainbow Retriever to bring you your Rod back? He He [Tongue][/size][/#0000ff][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#0000ff][size 3] By the way, [#bf0000]"Welcome Aboard"[/#bf0000][#0000ff] this BFT Utah board! I'm sure you'll agree its the BEST.[/#0000ff][/size][/#0000ff][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#0000ff][size 3] Nice report, looking forward to many more. Let Jr. know we'll get him hooked up on Macks & Cutts too. [/size][/#0000ff][/font]
[signature]