Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba Tubin' 12-30-05
[cool][#0000ff] Just hadda dunk my Super Fat Cat once more before the new year. That makes it all twelve months this year I have been tubing. The cold snap put a cap on most of my tubing ponds, and a whacked out leg slowed me down for a week or two. But, I got 'er done.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Two boats out of the State Park launch. Both hunters. Heard some shots up by the narrows but neither saw or heard any birds. No other (foolish) anglers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Water is way up. Not more than about 4 feet from spilling already this year. Good for the spawning fishies in the spring.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Launched just after 8 AM. A pretty sunrise was about the only evidence of sun I saw all day. No W and no R or S. All good. Air temp at launch 29. Water temp 37. Frozen brass.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I threw spinners and an assortment of jigs starting in shallow and working out past 40 feet. I had to keep checking to make sure my sonar transducer was in the water. Nary a blip. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Finally saw a few fish suspended at mid depth starting in about 60 feet of water. Worked out to a large area of 65 feet deep and saw twosies and threesies on the bottom. Dropped a "sweetened" (crawler) tandem jig rig to the bottom and got two taps on two successive drops. No solid takes and no fish to release.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Abused my poor old body for about two hours and hauled my gear out of the water for the last time this year. No fish, but all in all a good bit of exercise. Glad to have my leg hold up with no "gotchas".[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Swung by Lincoln Beach on the way home. Will do a picture post on that later. Ice is breaking up and stacking up. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
Sorry you didn't land any fish today buddy. Yuba has been a tuff one for me this year. Been there 2 times with fish cought by a hook yet. That water does look way up! I sure hope the dwr plants some kinda fish in there or maybe the perch and pike and eyes might take off. Is there any Bass in there!!!
I wish they would take some of those eyes from starvation they net daily and trasport some to yuba !
Thanks pat for the report and I hope you have a happy new years!
Tell the wife I said Hi I still have to have you guys over for Dinner!
Yummmy fried tubedude and tubebabe on a stick lol [Wink]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks Mike. Hold the stick. I get enough of that, thank you. Usually the short end.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Yuba can be tough. Fortunately, I have scored some nice 'bows this year, and I have always had a fond spot in me old heart for that pond. It ain't much now, but I do gots my memories...and hopes for the future. Since I have seen it go through several 10 year boom and bust cycles, I have some degree of optimism.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I think Mama Nature will find a way, with the fishies in there. Has before, without any help from DWR. The perch are in an explode mode and everything else will follow. Until they have a good population though, it would just mess everything up to dump in a bunch more predators.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There have been no smallies or largies stocked (legally) into Yuba that I know of. However, I caught a largemouth many years ago and have heard of several others. I imagine they fought their way downstream from homes in Gunnison and Redmond. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]And, since there are also smallies in the Sevier drainage, I don't suppose it would be unlikely to find them in Yuba sometime.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
you really are a die hard TubeDude
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I think all us fisherfolk are a few lures shy of a full tacklebox. But, I have been accused on more than one occasion of being slightly to the left of wierd.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Truth is, we all have our own little passions and preferences. Silly old me, I just tubalot. Been doing it for dang near 50 years now (yep, I'm that old). Truth is, I used to tube before iceup and after iceout just to gross everybody out. But, I found that sometimes it was the best time to be fishing, and that tubing was a good way to git 'er done. Now, I just have the annual goal of tubing at least once every month.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Truth to tell, when I layer up right, in good neoprenes, I am probably warmer in the water than a lot of "silly drillers" out on the ice. I do that too...but not in my tube.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Pat, for some reason I dont think your heart is truely in the chant for ice on Yuba,lol [Wink]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Not this year, and under the current conditions of fish population. But, you load that pond up with perch and wallinskis, like days of old, and I'll be the first and last guy out there with an auger.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Happy New Years to ya, ol' buddy. I got some "stuff" fer ya that you did not come to pick up.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Right back atcha my friend, Happy New Year! And please pass that along to Tubebabe also..
[signature]
holy smokes the water has come up alot! it looks great
[signature]
[cool]Holy Smokes, Tubemeister, you REALLY are hard core aren't you? Glad to hear that you were able to get out and get some good exercise and fresh air in the lungs. Sounds like that knee rehab is going well, and that's good to hear, because we're only two months away from chasing the 'eyes (my arch-nemisis) at Utah Lake!

It's good to see the water coming up so well in that pond. Hope those perchies hit it like rabbits this Spring (and that a lot of the new guys survive)!! That place is REALLY going to be a heck of a fishery again in a couple of years. In the meentime I think I'll still float it this Spring a time or two in search of a big ol mean bowcephus or two!!
[signature]