Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chesterfield report
Wiperslayer and I fished the lake this morning. Can you say snow storm? Saw Crestliner and crew there but no Joy Ride. We were fishing near the dam in twenty foot of water when we started, caught 9 there. The wind and snow picked up, so I moved a little closer to the dam to get out of the wind. Before we left we caught 5 more in 12 foot of water. Nice fat fish between 12 and 17 inches. Here are a few pictures. WH2
[signature]
Thanks for the report. You took pictures of some of the better looking fish (troutlodge kamaloops). About half of the fish I caught were the hayspur rainbows which normally have a more dense spot pattern and not as white of of belly. I would consider the hayspurs the clasic hatchery rainbow look. I didn't keep any fish but kind of wish I would have keep one so I could see what was in its stomach. If any of you keep any fish and noticed what was in its stomach I would like to hear about it.

I should have read BFT last Friday. I could have stopped by and said Hi to a few of you. I was in dark red single cab toyota tacoma. I was fishing on the East shore about 400 yards from the dam for a couple hours starting close to 10am. I saw about 4 groups along the East shoreline in the morning. A talked to couple of guys that came to fish by me on the East shore and they had 3C license plants. I only saw one group fishing close to the dam when I left around noon and they had also 3C license plants. I would guess that none of you that post on here are from Carabou county so I probably didn't see any of you up close. Maybe next time.
[signature]
Were you there on Friday the 30th or Saturday the 31st? In the deeper water I did catch some that were darker and had more spots, all the fish caught had been eating good but we did not keep any. Crestliner in his white truck and us in a red explorer were parked by the dam, everyone else parked down the road about 400 yds. WH2
[signature]
If you didn't already figure it out I was there on saturday the 31st.
I probably drove right past your vehicles without noticing them. The snow storm sure made the roads bad early in the morning.
[signature]
From your fishing report, I figured you were there Saturday but we were there on Friday. I guess you didn't get your elk this year? WH2
[signature]
Nice fish Curt. To bad you had to travel so far to find decent ice. Have you had a chance to try EC yet. Apparently the ice is good if you can get on it. The edges are really soft I guess. I'm going to try it this weekend. Will let you know.
[signature]
We hit EC about a week ago with little success but we had no problem getting on the ice at that pullover we talked about. There was also a few people fishing by the dam.
[signature]
It makes a little more sense that you were there on Friday and not saturday. I guess I could have figured that out if I looked at the date you made the post. [crazy]

No elk for me this year.[unsure] I can't complain much because I didn't put in much time for elk and I did get a decent muley with my bow as well as a mountain lion.

For my regular elk tag I only hunted 2 days. I could have taken some long shots (ranged at 400-500 yards) at bulls on a couple occasions but I decided to see if I could get closer and it just didn't work out.

I had a second elk tag for the farm lands surrounding Grace that the F&G designed to keep the elk out of the farmers hay stacks. I would have probably killed an cow elk on this hunt if I had hunted for more than an hour last saturday and a couple hours another day. The only elk I saw on this hunt were on land I didn't have permission to hunt or outside the unit boundry by a couple hundred yards.
[signature]