Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cooking Fish on the Ice?
So I'm curious if it's legal to cook fish right on the ice? If so, is it legal at strawberry? I'm guessing the answer is no due to the slot limits.

But I thought I would double check with you guys.
[signature]
That is one of my favorite things to do is turn my Mr. Heater/ cooker on its side and cook them up right on the ice. I have done this for the last 5-6 years and have never been told that you cant, but I am very cautious and make sure that they are legal fish... once they are eaten they dont count towards your possession limit. I will get some pictures up later from when we went to scofeild last week.
[signature]
Hoked,
Your dead wrong about the fish you eat not being part of your daily limit. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Eating fish on the ice is no different than eating them at camp or home. If I catch my limit in the morning, go home eat three of those fish I still cannot go back out and catch 3 more. It's called the daily limit for just that reason. It's the limit you can take in any one day.

As far as eating part of your catch on the ice I believe that is perfectly legal as long as the fish you cook are legal and you do not exceed your daily limit.
At Berry I believe you must maintain the fish in a identifiable and measureable manner until you have left the lake. I would say if you have a 14" or a 23" fish it would be ok to cook and eat but you would need to keep the carcass in a manner that it could be used to determine the length of the fish and the species.
We cook perch on the ice at Rockperch all the time but make sure that we never exceed our daily limit of 20 perch each even counting the ones we eat.
[signature]
What is a good way to cook perch on the ice?
[signature]
Haven't you ever heard of fillet and release.[Wink] (Just kidding)

Bodine
[signature]
I like to just pan fry them in butter. A potatoe and 2 eggs I'm in. I try to keep ice cooking simple. Just a 10" fry pan and a coffee pot.
For cooking I have a single burner propane that works fine. Butane doesn't work well below frezing but I've used them fine in the shelter or on sunny days.
[signature]
Why wouldn't be legal? If you were camping out there at Strawberry during the summer and caught fish, you could eat them there at your camp couldn't you. The eat you eat would still have to be legal length and would count towards your limit for the day.
[signature]
From the 06 Regs:

[font "MyriadPro-Cond"][size 2](4) A person may not take more than one bag limit in any one-day or have in possession more than one bag limit of each species or species aggregate regardless of the number of days spent fishing.[/size][/font]
[font "MyriadPro-Cond"][size 2] [left][/left] [left][/left] [left]The "may not take" part makes it illegal to keep fishing/eating them. Now, if you fish for 5 days, while camped out up there, nothing stops you from keeping and EATING 1 fish per day. [/left] [left][/left] [left]However, you can't keep a fish everyday and not eat it. That would then violate the "Possession Limit" from the regs:[/left] [left][/left] [left][/left] [left][/left] [left][/left] [left][font "MyriadPro-Cond"][size 2](22) "[/size][/font][font "MyriadPro-BoldCond"][size 2]Possession limit[/size][/font][font "MyriadPro-Cond"][size 2]" means, for purposes of this proclamation only, one bag limit, including fish at home, in a cooler, camper, tent, freezer or any other place of storage.[/left][/size][/font][/size][/font]
What cracks me up is the "at home". So what's up with that. If I keep one and freeze it I can't keep more?? I like the way these regs are written sometimes. At least they aren't confusing! [pirate]
[signature]
Right, so you can eat a fish or two right there on the ice and not be a violator. As long as the fish conform to the regulations and you don't go over your limit.
[signature]
I would think you can't then with the "A person may not take more than one bag limit in any one-day" part. If you caught and ate the 2nd legal fish, you would be taking more than one bag limit in any one-day, etc. You could catch a 23" eat it and catch a 13" eat it, etc., but another 23" would put you in violation I would think.

Who knows, wish we had a DWR rep on here who could clarify for sure.
[signature]
That would be correct, I would think. It shouldn't matter where you eat the fish, on the lake or at home. Just don't keep more than a legal limit whether it is in your belly or in the cooler. One 23"er in your belly or in the cooler is your limit.
[signature]
I guess that I should have worded that a little differently that once you eat them they dont count towards your possession limit,and your daily limt is still in effect. I just dont agree when you talk to guys up at the lake that have a freezer full of fish and keep going up and catching more untill they are consumed.
[signature]
Yeah, those guys. Thats another subject. They are poachers just like any other. They are in violation of the posession limit and that makes them poachers.
There was long ago a mentality fostered about the storage of fish for later consumption. When home freezing became possible people could store the game they gathered and eat it throughout the year. Fish seasons were closed for many species over the winter months. Fishers got used to storing fish.
Now with the year round season the management principle is to harvest, consume and harvest again. Having little or no storage. This is better for all. The fishery is not wasted by the frezer brning and waste of harvested fish. The fisher has to take more trips to be able to constantly have a supply of fresh fish on hand. Thus leading to more relaxiation and lower stress levels throughout society and increased economic benifit with the increase in fishing trips.
[signature]
I thought it was illegal to clean fish on the lake and trout are not allowed to be filleted period.At least those are what the signs at the berry ,fish lake and other trout waters say.But i havent been to those places in years so i could be wrong.[crazy]
[signature]
Sorry I missed the trip, how did you do?
[signature]
Cleaning and filleting are intirely differentr things. You can remove the inards, just don't lop off the heads or the tails.

Btw, ol' Dougie Miller used to cook fish on the ice before the the slot limit changes. Doug had DWR, fishcops, and a host of others feasting on our beloved Cutthroatasuarus.

[signature]