Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tumpin' and Tubin'
Pat,
Interestingly enough I tump my tube with the bow to the sky (opposite to you). I'll have to try it your way and see if it works any better. After all, you've been at this longer than I have.

I have to visit an out of town shop to order my jig mold and I haven't got around to that yet. Right now I'm carless after getting caught in a "whiteout" and running into the guardrail. No damage to me but my "Forester" is undergoing some significant repairs. Just one of the many blessings bestowed upon me in 2005 that I was not hurt at all.

To make those tiny "RoadRunners" did you use a #8 gold jig hook? What size splitring and swivel?
One of my winter projects will be to sort out all my flies and jigs into some kind of reasonable order. My problem is I often catch trout on bass flies and vice versa. I've also caught some nice speckles on 4" pike flies. Because of this my stuff is all over the place. I think I'm going to build a special basement storage rack based around dowels and pool noodles and pick and choose from this main storage to fill my fly boxes appropriately for my flyfishing adventures.
That "Carey Special" by the way comes from the WestFly site. I hope mine come out that well. There seems to be two different ties, one veils the hook with pheasant tail fibres and the other uses a pheasant rump feather "soft hackle style". I think both would result in good searching patterns for use from the tube.
As far as the discipine to tie multiple copies of one fly, I think I'm hampered by the same "creative juices" that stand me in good stead as a singer/songwriter and performing musician.
[signature]