Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recomended brand of Float Tube?
[size 2][size 1]Hello Guys,[/size]

[size 1]I am heading to the Sportsman's Expo in Pomona this weekend and heard there are some smoking deals on float tubes, any recommendations about who to go with and who to stay away from.[/size][/size]
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator

Hey there theangler,

Boy are you going to get a response to this question. My vote goes to the Outcast, Fat Cat for riding high, convenience, etc., although I have been a loyal and happy woodstream user til now! Consider fresh and salt, consider supporting your weight plus a lot more weight for ALL those extras, consider who'll give you no-hassle replacement service. Kennenbec and various such models would be my second choice. Sorry Caddis, I've no experience your stuff.

Regards,

tsurikichi
a.k.a. JapanRon
[signature]
[cool][font "Times New Roman"][size 3] I second the vote for the Outcast models. The Fat Cat for "average size" folks, and the Super Fat Cat for we of the large persuasion. They are about double the price of other craft, but have quality components and construction that offsets the investment.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I am jockeying my Kennebec I've had for about a year, but will be getting the Super Fat Cat before serious spring fishing sets in. The Kennebec has treated me well, for an investment of about $130. It rides me higher than round tubes, but has some design aspects I would change if I could. Many fishermen would probably have different opiniions, but it's a matter of personal preference.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I have probably worn out a half dozen Caddis models over the years. They are probably the most bang for the buck. The inexpensive Sierra model tickets at about $70, and floats my big self okay. It is a good solid craft, suitable for anyone who doesn't want to spend a lot of money in trying out this whacky pursuit. My only recommendation is to get rid of the thin walled tube that comes with it, after a few uses, and buy a heavy duty truck tire tube (20"). It adds weight, but it also increases your margin of safety...especially in the salt, or when fishing for spiny-rayed fishes in fresh water.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]There are several well known manufacturers that have been around a long time and make good quality craft. Bucks Bags, Creek, Browning, and a long list of others. And, there are always new ones coming on the market that are worth a look. Part of what I would like to do on this forum is to compile a ratings report on as many makes and models as possible, for future posts along this line.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Regardless of what type or price range you get, you need to consider several factors. [/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3](1). What kind of fishing will you be doing most? High mountain backpacking requires light and portable. Freshwater bassin can range from donuts to kickboats to pontoons. [/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3](2). What kind of transportation do you have? Pontoon craft are great, but you need a pickup or trailer to trudge them to the water in a ready mode. The can be knocked down to fit in smaller spaces, but then the setup time is greater before you can go fishing. Most SUVs can handle a couple of fully inflated tubes or kickboats, and the anglers who will be using them. Cars with a decent sized trunk can sometimes handle a single inflated tube in the trunk, or back seat (if you don't care about rear vision).[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3](3.) What is your budget? You can buy a serviceable round boat for under a hundred, although you often get what you pay for. Kick boats and mini pontoons may be had for under a hundred, but most are about $125 and up...to the Outcast Super Fat Cat, at $339. True pontoons start at about two hundred and escalate to about $1500. Somewhere in the middle range you can find a lot of very serviceable craft, with good quality components.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3](4) How big are you? Again, if you are over 250#, you may be able to float in a smaller craft, but you will not have good floatation and you will be less comfortable. If you develop a leak in your air chamber, you will have less time to get to shore before you have to start walking. Look for a rating of 300# or more if you are large, and/or (like J.R.) you have to adorn your craft with all the bells and whistles.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]After that, you need to decide whether you will settle for thin plastic air bladders, or that you need more puncture resistant butyl (black) rubber, like inner tubes. I vote for the latter. You have a lot of color choices, and always look at the quality of the zippers and the number of good quality D rings. Anyone who hangs a lot of goodies off their craft needs lots of D rings...4 minimum. Anything else is better. I have four inside and four outside on my Kennebec, and use them all for lashing down rod racks, sonar, nets, live baskets, etc.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]At a big show, I would suspect there will be some new stuff to look at, as well as the old favorites. If you can verify the "suggested retail price", and the "show price" is substantial, it might be worth a try...as long as all of the elements are there to suit your particular needs.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I have always believed in the adage "try before you buy". Unfortunately this is not always possible with "super buys" in fishing gear. So, whatever you purchase, try to get some kind of good warranty and don't overlook anything that might not work out for you.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Next...the questions on waders, fins, rods, reels, lines, lures, hooks, etc. Pardon me, while I go fishing.[/size][/font]
[signature]
[cool]Hey Kiyo, not sure how to access the images you post. I sneaked over on your website [url "http://www.baytubers.com"]www.baytubers.com[/url] and looked over some of the pics you guys post over there. AWESOME. Looks like a great club and you even catch some fish too.

Hope you don't mind. Here's a pic I copied to post here. It's your Navigator II all tricked out for halibut fishing. Looks like a nice rig.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage0829481.jpg]
[signature]
can you take some pic of the different modles available on the market while you are there with a digital?

I would like to see what is available this year. we dont get any tuber's presintations at our shows here in the michigan outdoors sport shows that have just started up.
[signature]
hey Tubedude,

how many dead presidents would one expect to need to politicaly perswade a super fat cat to come my way?

I am not concerned ahout waight I can get me a dolly to cary my tube for me.
[signature]
[cool][font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Hey, Dave, you gotta be careful talkin' about presidents and dollies on a forum like this. Folks might get the wrong idea.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Here's a link to one of several websites which offer a wide range of tubes, kick boats and pontoons for sale. In addition to pics, they provide the weights, features and prices. A good place to visit before being swept away by a salesman's rhetoric at a show.[/size][/font]

[url "http://www.thefloattubestore.com/"]http://www.thefloattubestore.com/[/url]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Unless you are well over 200 pounds, you could ride comfortably in the regular "Fat Cat". It tickets out about seventy dollars less than the super model. I have searched diligently and scrupulously for discounting on the Outcast craft, but everyone seems to stick pretty close to the same prices...as in the link I provided.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]If you can rig up a wheeled cart of some kind, to get your craft to a distant launch spot, you might want to consider the solid foam model of one of the pontoon craft. Less chance of a "deflating" experience. The weight is greater, but so is the safety factor...especially for river runners.[/size][/font]
[signature]
[font "Verdana Ref"][size 3]The last time I crushed a scale I was pushing the 230 classes.[/size][/font]

[font "Verdana Ref"][size 3]As far as some one twisting my words to the point of new meanings they would have a full time job on this forum for sure. With nearly 3000 posts to dig through they would have to have more time on their hands than me [/size][/font][font "Verdana Ref"][size 3] and I haven’t worked a day in the last 4 years.[/size][/font]

[font "Verdana Ref"][size 3]As you have said there are folks like that who seem to, no mater what you say want to strike up an argument on words that they themselves have personal issues on. I have dwelt with them on many occasions in my life more than I care to mention. And there was not one single case when there was not an ulterior motive behind there personal attack on my personal caricature. [/size][/font]

[font "Verdana Ref"][size 3]I say if some one wants to strike up an argument about the 99% of the faces on our denominations being dead presidents. The point is mute except for the fact that the 1% out denomination of which its face presents Franklin, who was not a president but was indeed an accomplished politician among other things (a man of all seasons). They are every one dead – that’s a fact, no denying it. We all die some day. [/size][/font]

[font "Verdana Ref"][size 3]As for twisting the word dolly from being a two wheeled tool made for hauling in to a chauvinistic attack let them try I say. [/size][/font]

[font "Verdana Ref"][size 3]They will only prove their own personal biases and prejudices in such argumentative attempts. Thirty percent of Americans women and men today spend in excess of 20% of their personal income to accomplish the feet of becoming a doll/cover girl like the toys they play with or on the covers magazines. At least they aint spending it on drugs and filling their minds with poison and if it makes them happy, it makes me happy to see them happy for them to do so. [/size][/font]

[font "Verdana Ref"][size 3]I can and do respect their endeavors of those who labor to find happiness’ that do not invade others rights to not be unhappy. My heart bleeds for those who bare their own personal and self-serving issues on to those who are just trying to live and let live.[/size][/font]

[font "Verdana Ref"][size 3]In closing there is not a written word any where that cant be twisted by some one looking for an issue to strike an argument. Even joking about using a PETA person for bare bait is somewhat intrusive. We know that it is a lighthearted joke, cause it is a fact that there aint no meet on the bones of a PETA person. Seriously we know that you mean no harm or malice against any individual person in a light hearted comment about an organization with different points of views than our own.[/size][/font]

[font "Verdana Ref"][size 3]In closing if I speak out like a fool, the last time I looked in the mirror, I saw a big red nosed bright orange haired baggy close and bright make up wearing fat clown staring right back at me. [/size][/font]

[font "Verdana Ref"][size 3]And that’s a fact, no denying it. [laugh][/size][/font]
[signature]
Thanks TubeDude!

I don't see the picture? Do I have to do something to view it?

Kiyo

LOOK UP AND REJOICE. THUS SAYETH TUBE DUDE. ( I originally uploaded the pic at work...and it didn't work)
[signature]
the site is copy protected you will have to go to the site to see it.

kool site mite I may add.
[signature]
hey Kiyo,

great photo [cool]

I edided your photo for size and put it in your post.

we like to keep them around 400 pixels wide.

If you like to know how to do it just click on my name link and send me a privet message. Ill hook you up.

and welcome to the board of the Big Fish.

where did you found them flounders? general location dont tell us where you hid the bucket (honey hole)
[signature]
Thanks Dave,

Let me know how to downsize them.

Them there are California Halibuts. They have to be 22" or bigger to keep and the biggest one we caught last year was 46.8lbs!!!

Kiyo
[signature]
[cool] Hey, Kiyo, I signed in on your club site. Look forward to "hangin'" with you guys...at least for some cyber-tubin.

I can also assist with the sizing on the pics. Or, you can get a free website on BFT, which allows you to upload jpegs and then to edit and size them. If you wanna keep dazzling us with your lovely face, and your deadly craft, you might want to take advantage of the free service. Go up to Big Fish Fun, upper top right, and find the Free Website Info. Piece of cake. Dave can help anyone who needs some technical assistance.

Love to see the pics of fish and flotation craft. Also great to be able to put faces on the names. But again, some of us want justice...others need mercy.
[signature]
Kiyo,
Glad to see you joind as a member today! Your post's, pic's and site are all top of the line.
I see that our trusty residenT clown and great administrator has already given you a welcome to the boards. Now it is my turn to do it. WELCOME TO THE GREAT AND GROWING BFT MESSAGE BOARDS!! I will be watching for your future posts with antisapation.
Again: WELCOME ABOARD!
[signature]

Hey davetclown,

By your description, we may be identical twins that were seperated at birth by a doctor who was thinking more about the next morning's fishing trip then taggin' us!

We sure look and think alike! Even to the degree of having the pleasure of not working since April of 1998!

tsurikichi
[signature]
[Smile]Thanks again Tubedude![cool]

I tried to get a website but this came up?Error Diagnostic Information

ODBC Error Code = 37000 (Syntax error or access violation)

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Line 3: Incorrect syntax near ')'.

Kiyo

The error occurred while processing an element with a general identifier of (CFQUERY), occupying document position (38:1) to (38:125).

Date/Time: 01/10/03 01:55:06
Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win 9x 4.90; en-US; rv:0.9.4.2) Gecko/20020502 CS 2000 7.0/7.0
Remote Address: 152.163.188.161
HTTP Referer: http://www.myownweboffice.com/login.cfm?...ecode=&did=
Query String: CFID=1484119&CFTOKEN=81412203

Did I do it wrong?[Wink]
[signature]
[cool] might have been a temporary glitch, while they were doing system maintenance or something. I just tried it (4:30 AM Arizona Time) and it popped right up. Here's the address in the window if you want to try a direct connect: [url "http://admin.ecomstores.com/login.cfm?SignupSiteID=97&amp;amp;Level=0&amp;amp;SubSS"]http://admin.ecomstores.com/login.cfm?SignupSiteID=97&Level=0&SubSS[/url]=

You have to first sign in and then the login address and your website address are emailed back to you. Then you go to work. I use it mainly as a site to upload pics. Once they are in your image file, you can click on the edit tab and size them to whatever pixel width you want, for the BFT posts. As Dave suggested, 400 wide works best. The ones I have picked off your BayTubers site are somewhat larger and could benefit by a bit of resizing.

The cool thing is that you can upload a jpeg, resize it and post it within a couple of minutes. Look forward to seeing some more of your stuff on the board.

I might mention too, for anyone who would like some solid firsthand info on fishing for halibut, Kiyo's site has some great writeups, rig tips, etc. You've done a great job putting that together my friend.
[signature]
Tubedude,

Looking forward seeing you there.[Smile] The Halibut bite has slowed lately. Should be coming back soon I hope!! There was a 11.25 pound Halibut caught yesterday from the float tube using live smelts.

Kiyo
[signature]
Thanks SSOR! [Smile] I will be dropping by often![Tongue]

Kiyo
[signature]