Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
YO YO Glow Jigs for Yellows !!!!
Just spoke with Caesar over at Tady and he is boasting 3 yellows for 5 hook-ups on yellwtail to 26 pounds on the 3/4 day trips.

Yo - Yo and WWWiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnndddddddd like a MF.

Drop Back Down

Does anyone have more information for our readers?

Color

Speed

Depth

Thanx in advance..
[signature]
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=23351;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread "][size 1]Yellowtail on the San Diego <link[/size]
[/url]
The fish were around 150' (Go to the bottom)

Speed: Madman fast. I was winding a 4:1 ratio as fast as I could. The fish I cleaned were stuffed with choves, so they were not hungry, just reacting to the speeding jig. I found myself wishing for a 5:1 ratio.

Jigs: Not important... BUT... my 6X heavy (the one that broke) got nailed almost immediately after I went to it when Megabaits failed to produce. Everyone else was using Jr size. If I had had another 6X heavy I would have tried it. Having said that, I DID get 2 more on the YoYo 4, much smaller than even the Jr size, but I think a big jig would have done better.

Fishslayer
[signature]
[Smile]Reel- any 3/0 or 4/0 narrow with 5:1 or thereabouts gears, 30# or 40# line. 4/0 with narrow Tiburon kit & Accurate 4:1 gearset is popular for this kind of fishing. Accurate now has a 665 XHM Narrow that's 6:1. Bring lots of money for THAT one! If I was spending my own money I'd probly go for a Newell 332 loaded with 30#.

Rod- I'm not really up on blank numbers, but any 7 1/2 to 8 footer with a fairly soft tip & mondo beef in the butt, moderate taper. Be warned. I have very odd taste in blanks & hardly ever like any of the really popular modern blanks. My favorite rods are all 70's & 80's vintage heavy wall Sabres! [cool]

Jigs- Salas, Tady, Ironman.... Pick 'em. I happen to like Salas, but also own some the others. 6X & 6X jr size in blue/white & scrambled egg.

Fishslayer
[signature]