Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Christmas Gift...
ODC 420 came a day after Christmas! [Smile]I wait to see what my son had to say about it. He wasn't too thrilled about it right off and said "I already have one down there" (meaning MINE)![unsure] I thought he would love to have one of his own. Oh well, I told him if he wasn't interested on it, I would just send it back. Not right away on sending it back, I gave him more time on it. Thought about it today and asked him one more time if he really wanted it. Seems like he is turning towards it.[unimpressed] If he doesn't then I would take it for myself but my wife says I got too many TOYS![mad][cool]
[signature]
Bluegillman, wassa madder wit dat boy?![Wink] I would thought he would have been stoked.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Have you thought about having a DNA test to check for paternity? Man, any kid of mine turned down fishing gear I'd kick 'em outta da house. (not serious)[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Maybe you need to "break him in" on it. If it is snowing and you can't go fishing, let him ride it down a snowy hill first. Then, when the ponds thaw, put him on the water. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Many people avoid what they don't know or understand. I have seen a lot of folks light up and get excited about tubing once they are able to try it out.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good luck.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
BLUEGILLMAN I AGREE WITH TD, TELL HIM TO GIVE IT A CHANCE AND JUST TRY IT OUT............ HE WILL BELIEVE!!!

ATFISHING

[signature]
Perhaps it could be a simple case of shell shock. He may need to be exposed to tubing a little bit more.

I have never turned down any tackle or toys from my TubeDad. I actually give him credit for my disease. In(tube)itis. It is not life threatening but your life does depend upon it.[cool]
[signature]
[cool]Not enough information given to make a real assessment, but since you put it out there, I'll comment...

I'm not sure how old your boy is but it may be that he just doesn't enjoy tubing/fishing like you do. My oldest son doesn't fish. Though he went with me many times when he was young, he just never developed a love of it. I'm OK with that - now. Just didn't understand it for awhile - and it affected our relationship in a very negative way. Does to this day. How could he not like fishing? Did I do something wrong? Did he get switched at birth? That's what I used to think.

A word from someone who has been there and learned a Sad lesson... Sometimes we have to let them be what they are and not try to force them into our preconceived mold. Coax them, yes, but not force them. They may go along with us just to keep us happy. But along the way there will be clues as to what they are really thinking. Sometimes we have to meet them where they are - or risk not having a relationship with them that lasts through adulthood. My younger boy (my kids are all grown with kids of their own) was a video game nut. I can't stand video games. Had he bought me a video game for Christmas, I might have played with it for his sake but after that it would have just gathered dust. Different strokes...

Nothing wrong with being different, though accepting it when it is our own flesh and blood (and especially a son) is sometimes a problem. I wouldn't force the issue. Recognize that he may be different than you are. It's OK. Don't make your approval of him dependent upon his love (or lack of love) for fishing. If you do you may grow to regret it.

[cool]That'll be 100 bucks for the session. Just pay the secretary on your way out.

zonker

[signature]
Great, I mean "Great" response Zonk! Your a beauty[Smile]. Hope a few people take this message to heart.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Mel, you got a new BFT name. Hope it fits you well.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You got it right. Zonker got it right. The best we can hope for as parents is to guide our younguns into making more right decisions than wrong ones. We have all seen cases where kids went "off the deep end" just to spite over-controlling parents, who would not allow them any leeway.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One of my favorite sayings is that "If you have 4 kids, and you treat them all the same, you are treating at least three of them wrong...if not all 4." Kids are individuals and with all of the outside influences and stimuli from TV and the Internet today, it is amazing that so many kids actually survive and turn out okay. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
Oh yes he loves fishing and would go out and do it if I could have time and I would load the truck with my canoe and fishing things, he would take the tubin along every time, he likes it alot. He's 21 years old. I have another son who is 24 and loves fishing too. He isn't high for the tubin as he can't move around like we can, he would rather join me in the canoe. Same story on the rod and reel, I brought him a bait casting bass rod and he wasn't sure on it. When we went fishing one day I told him bring that along, he didn't wanted to but did. Left it in my canoe and he went off with the tubin. When we got back together for drinks, I used his new rod and casted out and right away I land two pounder bass and he says "give me my rod!" and start learning to use it and I showed him the way it works and he got the hand of it right away. Used that new rod and went back fishing with it and landed a seven pounder bass! Yes both boys have deferent likes.
BTW I asked him if he want to keep it, put it in his room if not and it is still in my room then I would return it, but I found it in his room today!
[signature]
[size 1]""Perhaps it could be a simple case of shell shock.""[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1][#0000ff]Seems like![/#0000ff] [/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]""I have never turned down any tackle or toys from my TubeDad. I actually give him credit for my disease. In(tube)itis. It is not life threatening but your life does depend upon it.[cool] ""[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[#0000ff][size 1]That's the same with all our dads, sons, uncles and male cousins![/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][size 1][#0000ff]Have you thought about having a DNA test to check for paternity? Man, any kid of mine turned down fishing gear I'd kick 'em outta da house. (not serious)[/#0000ff] [/size]

Ha![sly][Smile]
[signature]