Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strike indicators?
Any know the brand name or the proper name for the wire strike indicator that you use on ice fishing rods?

Was trying to find some on Ebay and wondering if they are under a different name than the obvious?

Thx
[signature]
Hey troy try punching in (Spring bobber) on ebay then check out "the teeter pig".. [Wink]
[signature]
Thx Cold footer!
[signature]
Or just go to sportsmans warehouse and get 2 for $1.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Here's a pic of the package of the ones from Sportsmans...from Hi-Tech.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
This looks like a strike indicator very similar to the ones that I use:

[url "http://www.mapleridgemotel.com/id32.htm"]The Teeter Pig[/url]

[signature]
Another possibility for smaller fish:

[url "http://www.shopatron.com/product/product_id=DUB1600/101.2"]Du-Bro Pro Series Lite Strike Bite Indicator[/url]
[signature]
I like those flat ones. They're easily adjustable, retain their shape, and they slide back down through the front eye when you're done fishing. I picked some up at wally world.
[signature]
So do most of you use strike indicators up at strawberry? Is it necessary if you always ahve the poll in your hand? I know they do bit soft. Just curious if it is worth using there or not.

tuber
[signature]
I found that they don't stay on very well and really aren't that great in my experience with them.....but what do I know, I listen to Michael Bolton's greatest hits on the way to work.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I usually have several rods...some rigged with the indicators and some without. Whenever possible, I prefer to hold the rod and feel the strike. When the bite is ON, you don't need to worry about having an indicator.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]On some days, and even during different times on the same day, the fish slow down and become neutral or inactive. If they do bite, it can be very light, and that is when you will appreciate having the strike indicator. On those occasions, they do not want big lures or a lot of action. They want smaller stuff fished "dead stick", either with the rod in the holder or held steady in your hand. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Even the most "sensitive" angler cannot maintain absolute feel and finesse while wearing ice fishing gloves. Having an indicator will let you know you have a nudge when you can't feel it. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are more and more ice fishermen who try them and swear by them. On every trip you will ice more fish by using them than by trusting in your own natural ability to feel the light bites. It ain't a matter of pride. It's a matter of efficiency.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]And, by the way, I make my own rods so I make a quick thread wrap on mine, using a hot red fly tying thread...or else finishing it with red glitter to make it more visible. The flat wire indicators hold up for many trips before having to be rewrapped.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I'm more of a Justin Timberlake fan. He's so manly.

I haven't had much trouble keeping the indicator on yet.
[signature]
I place my indicator on the rod and then put a drop of glue on with a hot glue gun. They stay in place for the whole season and are easily removed. I got tired of them turning on the rod.
[signature]
I use strike indicators at Strawberry; however, MGB never does and I don't know anyone who can outfish Mike vertically jigging at Strawberry.
[signature]
I would, but its a long drive lol
[signature]