Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
San Gabriel River Report
Fished both the west and east forks for the first time. The west fork was pretty low and it seemed to have been recently stocked. The fish were clearly visible and most dinky (5-10") and very spooky. My goto bait (panther martin with a blk body gold blades) did not produce a single strike even though it was very early in the morning with low light conditions. Switching to powerbait got my buddy and I some fish though. We ended up with 5 fish between the 2 of us at the west fork.

Then we went to the east fork and the water was very very low. We weren't catching fish until we found a nice trench under a bridge and next to a wall. We ended up with 5 more (3 on rainbow glitter powerbait and 2 on the panther)

I have a renewed feeling of confidence towards flourocarbon line. At first, I was using it and my friend was using straight 4lbs. I got 3 fish to his none (using the same exact setup and bait) until he put on a flourocarbon leader. Then he started catching fish.

get out there
Tom
[url "http://www.tacklethief.com"]www.tacklethief.com[/url]
master6777,
Thanks for the nice detailed report. Might be short but is full of great information.
I would like to WELCOME YOU TO THE GREAT AND GROWING BFT MESSAGE BOARDS!
[signature]
Hello Master6777,

Thanks for the heads up, sounds like a great day, did you throw any roostertails at'em? Any keepers?
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
No Roostertails thrown (maybe too big of a bait for those little ones) Wink The biggest one was about 10" that ended up on the dinner table. The smaller ones are perfect for the frying pan. Thanks for the warm welcome!
[signature]