Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rainy Day Trip
I know some of you are stuck with ice and snow right now so let me take you fishing.[Image: smile.gif]

I spent the day fishing for Goldens again. Another rainy one, even worse (weatherwise) than the last. It rained hard all day and the wind blew. I was snug in my rain gear aboard my tube but it does take a toll on you after awhile - especially when it doesn't let up. And it didn't. Just to give you an idea, this is what it was like all day...

[Image: rainy.jpg]

Not too cold. Just wet. The road in was flooded in several spots but I managed to get through. Most of the areas were shallow like the pics below. The worse was a little swollen seasonal creek. I should have taken a picture of it.

[Image: rainy2.jpg]

[Image: rainy3.jpg]

Water temp was 44 degrees. Air temp was 45. Fish weren't nearly as active as last time so I had to work hard for them. Lots of casts for about 4-5 hits. Being used to steelhead fishing where a good day might involve a bite or two, I was pleased. I fished about 5 1/2 hours and managed these three:

[Image: g-1.jpg]

[Image: g-2.jpg]

[Image: g-3.jpg]

I met two other fishermen who were out. Neither of them even took a cast. Guess they didn't like the rain. I gave the first one a tutorial on Intermediate fly lines. The other one looked at me in my waders, carrying my tube, fins, rods, etc. and said, "You go out in that thing?" I just Smiled. What can you say to someone who is uninitiated? He retreated back to his warm dry truck and was gone by the time I launched. Poor guy. Didn't know what he was missing.

zonker
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Way to go, Bro. Having been "exposed" to your part of the country, I know about the typical weather this time of year...heavy downpours, with occasional light drizzles. It really does test the commitment of true fishermen. It would seem that you qualify.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I had to chuckle when I read about the non-tuber who questioned YOUR tactics. Ya gotta feel sorry for those poor souls who have not been "born again" to tube-ology. They really miss out on a lot that they have no idea even exists.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But, that's okay. Better that we don't convert everybody and clutter up the waters.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Thanks again for a good report for we who must contend with snow, wind and freezing temperatures.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But...watch this week for a post from my own self...on my first tube dunking of 2006. It will be snowing a bunch here the next day or two, and a couple of days toward the end of next week. But, if there is a window in the middle of the week, my mother's son just might harken to the call of the open water (somewhere).[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Salem, Oregon, just north of us, has had 330% of "normal" rainfall in the last 20+ days. The Steelhead fishing boards are buzzing, but not with fish stories. Its tackle and weather discussion by all those guys who are relegated to the house because their rivers are blown out. The one big consolation for us living here is that whenever we have two really good rain years back to back, the stillwater trout situation in Central Oregon flourishes.

I patiently await your fishing report. Kinda lonely out here feeling like the only guy who can go fishing. But of course I realize that somebody has to do it.[cool]

z~
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sounds like you are having a "good water year". Reminds me of a time when I found myself in the little town of Blue Lake, north of Eureka, California one February. I was there on business (no fishing) and was enjoying my breakfast in one of those little coffee shops and "community centers" you can find in almost every small town in America. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It had been raining steadily for several weeks and all of the rivers along the northern coast of California were running bank to bank...chocolate. Making idle conversation with one of the "regulars", an idled lumber industry worker, I commented on how heavy the rain had been. In characteristic backwoods humor, he replied "Shoot, it ain't that bad. The redwoods is still rooted and the ducks ain't drowned." I guess that is their guage for determining a REAL rainstorm.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I want you to know that I have not just been sitting around, whimpering and whining. I have been busy at the tackle bench. I bet I have poured close to a thousand new jig heads in the last few weeks, and have been painting and "decorating" like crazy. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Once we get past the end of January, I am going to have a tough time each week, deciding which of the 39 target waters I am going to hit, and which of the 33 target species I will be pursuing. It might start slowly, but within the next 30 days I will be building some serious fishing momentum.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Oh yeah, I bought a fellow BFT member's used Outcast Fish Cat Cougar (pontoon) yesterday, and I got a new Eagle Fishmark 320 sonar last week. Those two goodies are going to keep me off the streets for awhile, getting all set up and checked out. Watch for the reports.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I've been quiet, but I ain't been idle. So there.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Posted this on the other sight, but, just want to say, if the lakes are frozen and not enough to chance walking on, there is still the rivers.
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=13922;]
[signature]
Great picture, Joni.[cool] Looks like one happy fisherlady. Can you tell us the name of the river or is that classified?

z~
[signature]
Glad to hear you're not idle, TD. That'll rot your brain.

I think a state that names its two major college football teams "Ducks" and "Beavers" kinda says it all. They say that the state plant is tree mold, or something like that. Yesterday when I was fishing in the tube I felt more like I was snorkling than fishing.

A thousand jigheads? If I were younger I'd ask you to put me in your will. Some months ago I showed my wife a picture of your "tackleorium" (as you called it). It served a good purpose as now she knows I'm not the only one with this disease. Still waitin' to try those road runners on some steelies.

New toon, eh? That'll be fun for you and for all of us. We look forward to all your conversation about modifications. It'll add a new dimension to the forum. Got a picture yet?

z~
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I haven't set up the toon and got it to Smile for the camera yet, but here is a copy pic off the picture board. It has quad air chambers for lower profile and greater stability (and safety).[/#0000ff]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=12385;]

[#0000ff]Plans are to get TubeBabe a 'toon too. We will both be rigged with electric motors. Won't be towing any water skiers but that will give us more range and the ability to troll if we so desire. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have a pretty good idea how I will add the rod holders and the sonar. My project right now is building a supplement rack for my cartop carrier on my Jimmy. I am making a special slide-on model from PVC (what else) so that I can transport my 'toon fully set up and ready for action. Later, with two 'toons, we will be getting a small utility trailer to carry both of them.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Sweet! I've been looking at those in Sportsman's Warehouse. Should be a nice boat.

z~
[signature]
[size 1]I know some of you are stuck with ice and snow right now so let me take you fishing.[Image: smile.gif] [/size]

Yes! Please!!!!![cool]

[signature]
Hey zonker I recognize that stretch of river. That be the Provo River, downstream from Deer Creek dam a couple of miles.
[signature]
Sorry, right I missed this post. It is the lower Provo by the tunnel.
[signature]