Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mud Lake?
Did anyone hit it Saturday? I am hoping to go on Monday, what should I use? Where should I go to catch a lot, my whole family is going and I do not want to dissapoint. Is it better to go away from the crowds? Is it better closer to shore, or out towards the middle? I want to make this a great trip for my family. Thanks inadvance for the info.
[signature]
I haven't been to Mud Lake for a while but I'll pass along a few things I have learned. bsflies and others that have been there recently and fish there more often than I do could give you better info.
If I were you I would mostly use ice flies less than 1" long with only half (or less) of a meal worm or other bait (like perch eyes, cut bait, wax worms or night crawlers). 2" jigs might keep some of the finger sized fish off the hook. For perch I have found that it is helpful to fish a jigging rapala or large lure/jig above a small ice fly. It seems to get the fish to come check it out from a longer distance. Look down your hole and see what gets to perch to bite. You shouldn't have much trouble watching fish bite because Mud Lake is shallow and from what I have seen there are few places deeper than about 5 feet.
I normally don't fish very close to other fisherman so I couldn't say it is always better to fish a distance from others but I enjoy it more. Most of the lake close to the shoreline is very shallow. You could start in the middle of the lake. I have also done well toward the North half of the lake. If you are catching few fish in a spot it would be a good idea to move.
Good luck.
[signature]
I had a wrestling tournament on Saturday, so I got up at 4 a.m. and was fishing at about 5:15 and fished until 7:45 - yes in the dark. What a wonderful time of day on the ice. Coyotes howling all around the lake and owls talking back and forth plus the fishing was good!!!!! I caught 38 perch and no chubs. I had two perch over 14 inches - the two largest perch that I have ever taken.

I like to fish away - at least 100 yards from other groups and like to keep the disturbance to a minimum on top of the ice. After I drill my holes with a power auger, I usually don't get any large perch for at least 30 minutes. So drill enough holes all at once. I like to find water from four to six feet deep which means walking out away from the shore about 500 to 600 yards. I use mostly ice flies ( the old "skinny-ass fly" which cannot be purchased anymore - I make my own) is my favorite. I like to tip the hook with a piece of perch meat or perch eyes because you can catch multiple fish - up to 10 or 20 without rebaiting. Pink or orange has been my most productive colors the last two weeks.

Hopefully I will be on the ice on Monday. Remember, a lot of motorized vehicles around you slow the fishing especially the larger perch. I will probably be searching for a new area as I have hit that area very hard, but it is still producing large and small fish with the perch from 8 to 10 inches becoming less and less as other people are also fishing that area. I believe the lake bottom is covered with perch and you just have to get an area between patches of weeds. The water is extremely clear and it does not take much to get the perch coming to your lures and/or bait.

Good Luck

Bill
[signature]
Thanks for the info Brian and Bill, it seems like everybody fishes the north shore so I will walk away from them and fish far away. Thanks again for all the info.
[signature]