Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things that make you go Huem?
Why do posts that ask "which fly rod should I get?" have so many responces and get so heated?

Especially when everybody knows Scott is the best! J/K
[signature]
I can understand why there would be alot of responses. Everyone has a rod that they like and love, which leads me to why it gets so heated. Everyone does love their rod, talking bad about someones rod is like talking bad about their spouse. Thems is fightin words...I guess.
[signature]
I think you get guys who want to justify why they spend the amount of $$ that they did on their rod. Then there is the camp that says you can fish just as well with a walmart special rod. Then there is everyone in between. But my favorite rod right now is a Scott so I have to agree with James[Wink]
[signature]
I don't know why it gets so heated either other than in [#ff0000]my opinion [#000000]the people[/#000000] [#000000]that can't afford the more expensive rods (and there is sales all the time on the more expensive) I don't feel that people should be close minded cause of their pocket book, and don't try to convince others that cheep is best Don't hate the player. I am the last one to critisize others for their preference. And if that is the only way you can get out and fly fish - is with a inexpensive rod, RIGHT ON![/#000000][/#ff0000]
The same as riding a Harley or a Moped, both will get the wind and bugs in your teeth. I know Scotty has heard me say that before, but, on another forum.
[#ff0000][#000000]More expensive rods are that for a reason. More pain staking time put into making them, therefore they are a better rod than a Wally World combo. Sure they will both catch fish so will a stick and fishing line and even a safety pin for a hook, but when you live to fish, is it wrong to want the best ?(at least to you).[/#000000][/#ff0000]
As far as best, everyone has a different cast so that is going to vary right down to the make of the rod.
I have several different rods, different makers, different size & weight and they are all my favorite for where I am going. Winston, Sage, Scott Eclipse, Orvis and a W.W. Griggs 6ft 3wt $29.00. With the exception of the Griggs, non of my rods retail for less than $375. But, I didn't pay that for them, even my Boo at $1600. didn't get rang up at full price.
In closing, the high price rods do make a difference, but you don't have to pay full price for it.
HFT probably still has some on sale.
[signature]
Yea, well I just got a new rod.
[signature]
My favorite is my St. Croix. Why? Because it is mine and I know how to fish it.

katghoti
[signature]
Fish with what you like and what feels good in your hand. If that means it cost $600 and you can afford it, right on.

I personally love Sage rods and have three. But I did not go for the top end of the spectrum in their lineup. There is no doubt that their top end rods are great but the Launch series feels good to me. So be it.

While it is true that the top end gear is better, I think they have kind of reached a summit of how good they can get with the current materials. Every year a company comes out with something "new" but in the end, the slight improvements are not something that 99.9% of fisherman could even tell were there.

But, the mid end rods are continuously creeping higher and higher in their quality and workmanship.

I would not by any means call myself an expert at this game. I can fish. I can cast. But I am no Lefty Kreh. I fish with the lower end rods and they feel great to me. They cast smoothly and are nice to behold. There are a lot of good servicable rods on the market that wont put you into bankruptcy if the funds are an issue. I say get the best you can afford. Go out and cast many rods in your price range and go for the one that fits your style, regardless what the current trends recommend. You are the one that will be fishing it. Then just go and enjoy this big wonderful world full of fishies.
[signature]
I like your new icon, would make a kicking ice jig
[signature]
Thanks to AdictedBass Tard came up with this one and it works for me however I liked the Dolly fly also, but it was like looking in a mirror[Smile]
I tried that ice fishing thing but, it was just too hard to keep hitting the hole and they weren't really going for the dries.
Nice to hear from you HFT.
[signature]
Funny!! like the pic.

Do you know what the eyes are on that fly?
[signature]
I think that they are doll eyes but, we will have to wait for ABT to read this and answer. I found a ol picture of me and I am using it on Bloody Decks forum, I didn't think it would be appropriate for this one[Wink]
[signature]
That's right Scott is the best. Glad to see you've come around

LOL

Trent
[signature]
Hi Trent! good to hear from ya, Dawg.
[signature]