Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magazines?
Stopped at the book store after a dinner of tacos. Looking thur the magazine racks, notice the "Fine Woodworking, Fine Homebuilding, Canoe and Kakay, Biking, Camping/Hiking, Cookings, Fishing/Huntings",all those goodies but hey where is the "Tubin"? Is there one?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]There are increasingly more articles on tubing and tooning in national magazines, but I have never seen any publications dedicated strictly to our sport.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am trying to get my book finished this year and then I will explore the potential for doing a magazine. I am sure I can get a publisher or a sponsor to give it a whirl.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One of the other things I have been working on is establishing a place and/or a committee to start keeping records for species and sizes caught from tubes and toons.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]All it takes to accomplish all of those things is time and money. I will now have more net spendable time, even if I ain't rich. But, I am good at "bird-dogging" and marketing so I am confident I can get some folks to throw some money at the whole idea.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Now, if we could only teach all our members to read....[/#0000ff]
[signature]
LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR BOOK TD

AT
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks, Bro.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Gotta tell ya that I can get up and "hold forth". Some folks say I should be on TV...so they can turn me off. Dang remote. Wish those worked on annoying spouses.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sorry Honey. Ouch ouch.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Looking forward to your book too,oh Tube Guru! BTW ... if you want illustrations besides photos, let me know. I am at your service ... no charge.
A Tubin' monthly was exactly what my wife and I were commenting about the other day, oddly enough.I think a tubin' monthly would be great! If it gets really popular, then you can make it weekly or fortnightly.

-ABT-
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]As the weightlifter said to his jockstrap "Thanks for your support".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am willing to bet that with the member base on this board alone, we could crank out some good pics and writeups on a regular basis. However, I think that jumping right into a monthly publication might be a bit ambitious. Maybe quarterly, until we can guage the receptivity and begin to accumulate enough material (and advertising) to print more frequently.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I do have a pretty good background in print media...writing, photography, advertising sales, etc. However, I make no claims at being an illustrator. In my book on "Fetchin' and Fixin' the Fishes of Utah", I did make some of the sketches showing techniques for filleting and skinning fish. And, I can draw a mean map when I have to. If only I don't have to use it to find anything afterward.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Yeah, if we keep the ideas flowing and if I can get my main book done and published that will free up some time and energy to move forward on our own little rag.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
How about a cheap black & white print at firs, as a monthly. Advertising would be your biggest concern to pay for the print and distribution and maybe make a small profit.
I designed a small print press for a guy in Heidelburg. It was just a small paper, monthly at first. It quickly grew into a twice-weekly .. within 9 months I think. He told me the hardest part was finding the advertising but once that was done, the press rolled non-stop. The paper was free, too. But he made a nice packet off it.

-ABT-
[signature]
Do u keep a list on how many tubers wanted your book? If you did, did u add me on the list?
Sounds great if you're gonna to try to start the magazine's ground breaking, there is alot of great guys and a gal to pass the stories to you for it! I'm enjoying watching this fourm and the other down the block too. Those two are the first things I open my computer after a long day at work and I would be waiting by the mail box for that magazine too! Lots of great stories and funny talks made me laugh my day away![Smile][Wink]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The good news is that advertising has been a big part of my business career. I have sold literally millions of dollars worth, mostly through the telephone and modern communications (fax, email, website, etc.).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Once we have a format, some initial stories and some pics and artwork, we can make a "media kit" and go crazy. That is the key, to make sure you do things in the right order. Advertisers are anxious to find good places to spend their ad dollars, but you have to show them something to give them the assurance that those dollars will be well spent.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I am keeping an informal list of the requests I get, but I assure you that everyone in the known universe will know it when my book is published. I ain't gonna be bashful about it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have no false illusions though. That book is never going to make the best sellers' list. It is far too specialized and the market is limited. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Of course, I could always add some extra sex, religion and politics to broaden the readership. In light of one of the current hot movies on the circuit right now, I could even add some references to "male bonding" stuff.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Think anybody would be interested in a book titled "Brokerod Lake"? Might be tough to get a picture of a politician and a priest engaging in inappropriate behavior while fishing from float tubes. Talk about unsafe sex. That could drown the participants.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Whew. Ya never know where one of our threads is gonna go. Sorry 'bout that.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hey Bluegillman, glad you like our playroom. Hope you got some chuckles to start your day.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
All ya have to do is put a half-nekkid chickie with a fishpole and a beer in her hands on the front cover, then appeal would be there for the illiterate jock to the Wall Street wannabee.
Oh, and politicians too.

-ABT-
[signature]