Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sonars with Sidefinder
I have a Cuda 168 and a Fishin' Buddy for my tube. The Cuda is good for seeing "down" and the Buddy for seeing to the side. The Cuda doesn't look sidways and the Buddy sees only a tiny spread downward. Does anyone have experience with any other sonars that do well in both directions?

zonker
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]No personal experience, but I have heard some good reviews on the "Tri-finder".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=12437;][size 1]
Eagle Trifinder 2 (no temp. guage)
PRICE: $179.99 POWER: 1500 w.
CONE: Up to 150 deg. with 3 band
transducer. (Left, Right, Below)
[/size][size 1]SCREEN: 4" diag. 240X160 pixels high res.
NOTES:
Pro model available with temp guage.
(Price: $219.99 at Cabelas)
[/size][url "http://www.eaglegps.com/Products/Sonar/trifinder2.htm"][#000000][size 1]LINK TO MORE INFO[/size][/#000000][/url][size 1] [/size][url "http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jsp;jsessionid=1VMQA2DRBL2SFTQSNOISCOOOCJVZIIWE?rid=&indexId=cat21392&navAction=push&navCount=1&cmCat=MainCatcat21276&parentType=index&parentId=cat21392&id=0012337&_requestid=9522"][#000000][size 1]CABELAS LINK[/size][/#000000][/url][size 1] [/size]
[signature]
Zonker, I have an older Hummingbird with the tri finder. It is very nice. I see fish all the time when Hubby doesn't, but then I prove that they are really there[Tongue]
[signature]
Now that looks like a great fishfinder TD. I'm going to keep that one as a potential for myself. Thanks a ton.

-ABT-
[signature]
Hi Zonker:

I have a Buddy. It's okay for what it is worth. As you said, it has a very limited cone for most uses. However, I do like the sidefinder, and seem to have had success while using it. Unfortunately, I cannot recommend any particular unit that will have the best of both worlds.

However, have you considered using both? You could build a bracket for the cuda to attach to the top of the sidefinder, and run the transducer down the side of the Buddy's plastic frame. Just an idea. Good luck in finding what you are looking for.
[signature]
KEVINKAY HAVE YOU LAUNCHED YOUR NEW ODC YET? OR ARE YOU SNOWED IN? HAVE NOT SEEN A REPORT FROM YOU.

ATFISHING
[signature]
Kevin,

That's an interesting thought (using both.) The only trouble I can see with it is having too much junk hanging off my tube. The problem is that zipping fly line getting tangled around things sticking up. I use two finders on my regular boat - one down and one (the Buddy) that looks to the side - with good success but there's much more room to move around.

z~
[signature]
For the price of a fishing buddy you can probably find a tri. They go on sale all the time. I would say to buy the tube mount for the buddy though, it makes a good transducer holder.
[signature]
Hi AT:

I briefly launched it about two weeks ago. Spent about two hours in the pouring rain, freezing, and not catching anything. Up here in the Northwest (Seattle) it has been cold and rainy for about the last month and a half. At one point 27 straight days of rain. However, the new ride tracks well and is comfortable. I agree with you previous post about the pockets though. Now it's time to start tinkering around with accessories/mount/rod racks and get ready to do some real fishing.

I'll do a full post with pictures as soon as I get a chance to get a few more good hours on the water.
[signature]