Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auto jiggin' system
In the past we've had a couple discussion on auto jiggin' systems to use during ice season..
If an auto jigger was used strictly as an flash attractor (without hooks), would it be considered a second angling line?
Heres the dilemma,, you catch mugbugs/crawdads with a line and meat bait tided to the string (no hooks involved) and its considered angling. But,, mudbugs can be had with simply a line and piece of shiny foil (again, no hook involved), merely a shiny attractor..
So,,, is a auto jigger used as a flash attractor (without hooks involved) a second angling line?

Input?

PS.. I editted this slightly, and changed the word fishing to "angling"...
[signature]
Unless hooks are attached one is not fishing, so one could lawfully use a second line with an attractor only on it. I have heard that some actually do that at Strawberry with success. Many moons ago I purchased a popup that was designed to auto jig in the wind for that very purposed. I keep forgetting to take it out, plus it is just one more thing to drag out on the ice.
[signature]
[reply]
Many moons ago I purchased a popup that was designed to auto jig in the wind for that very purposed. [/reply]
Yep,, their still around..
[signature]
I'm not sure. But the Proclamation defines "angling" as:
fishing with a rod, pole, tip-up, handline or troll board that has a single line with legal hooks, baits or lures attached to it ...
The definition of "lure" is: device made of rubber, wood, metal, glass, figer, feathers, hair or plastic with a hook or hooks attached ...
Based upon that, it sounds to me like an angling line MUST include a hook. So if your's did not, then it wouldn't be a second line. Would it?
I mean, what about those newer Aqua-Vu cameras that are housed inside a plastic fish body, like a bluegill for example. That is certainly an attractor of sorts, because I've seen fish bump into them and even attack them. And that's not a second line.
Good question!
[signature]
I thinking perhaps Kent and you are correct but would like to hear several oppinions on this subject..

Whats more, you dont need a plastic camera body that resembles any type of fish to have fish hit it. I cant tell you how many times I've had fish mouth and smack my under water camera's lense and camera body, and its the old style.. 3M and Geezer can surely testify to that, [Wink]..
I think its more a territorial factor than a feeding issue..
[signature]
Hey Don . Those fish didn't lift a fin as they passed by the camera like a dog does to a fire hydrant ? [Tongue] If they did it might be a redneck thing . Good Question , but I don't have a answer for .
[signature]
No Randy, cant say I seen any of them lift and fin but, I did have a couple of them give me the flipper and flash me their tails [Tongue]

I tell ya, I dont get NO respect! No respect at all!
[signature]