Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishfinders

Tell Boatless to go to Humminbirds website, and look at the reconditioned units they have on clearence now.
Some are even under $75
[signature]
Thats a Great price for a bird.

or for any finder that I have seen.

is that all modles or is there just one in particular?
[signature]

Dave, Go to www.humminbird.com and look thru the reconditioned units they have on sale now.
Many are portable and are ideal for ice fishing.With one of these, it, at times, almost feels sinful, the ease at which one can catch fish(IF they're biting).
Also signup for humminbirds e-mail alerts and newsletter.
[signature]
how about transducers , my lab ate the plug end off of my 3-d a couple years ago . it;s been collecting dust bunnies instead of finding fish ever since . i paid a nice piece of change for its topo capibilitys .
[signature]

Lonehunter,
Go to www.humminbird.com and see if they can get you the replacement part you want,or you could send what you have, to them, and they could give you a cost estimate before repairing it
[signature]
Zeke,
You got past me! I try to catch members on their first post and you already made 3 so I am way behind on this one. Yuo provided some important info for other members and for that I want to thank you. Also I want to: WELCOME YOU TO THE GREAT AND GROWING BFT MESSAGE BOARDS![Smile]
[signature]
hey zeke , have you tried your fishfinder thru the ice ? i was wondering about echos because of the surface being frozen .
[signature]

I've used my Humminbird Wide 100 thru the ice,by finding a smooth spot on the ice and pouring a little water on the ice, then placeing the transducer on the ice to give me a depth reading. This way when searching the area, say in a bay, you then can find the deepest spot , without drilling any holes.
I've never tried to locate any fish this way, besides when you drill your hole,you'll undoubtedly spook the fish anyway.
[signature]
davet gave me the same advice too . i haven't recived my transducer yet , but this was for a discusion that we had at work . oh the theroys we came up with , i liked the mirror to mirror theory myself , ( not mine but it was funny ) .

what other boards do you hang out on ? i tend to bounce around alot , but the mit is my homebase .
[signature]

Just what is this mirror to mirror theory that you speak of?

I have just started to post on this site, when it started to cover Ice Fishing(which I love, even tho I have Severe Frostbite from construction work in 15-18 below zero).
I have to watch just how long I stay out in the cold. Usually not more than 3 to 4 hrs.
Thanks to Cabela's for their 1000 gram thinsulate hip boots that I use now.
[signature]
well zeke you are keeping up with me, that is all I go out for unless the temp is above 20* then I can stay out longer.

my body is ok, I get brain freeze from water on the brain.

welcome to big fish

hope you will share your ice fishing adventures here with us.
[signature]

One thing that has really helped me this icefishing season, is that I'm using my shelter more often.
I purchased it thru Midwest Outdoors Magazine, some 6 yrs ago.
It's covered with clear plastic, and on sunny days it's like a greenhouse inside (you end up taking clothes off)
The fellow who made these said he sent 3 kids thru college with the profits from the sales.
It is made with 1/2" conduit, and weighs only 18lbs, is oval in shape, 8' long 3' wide, and 4'1/2 feet high.
[signature]
Does any one have plans on how to make one?
I made one that is portable too but it weights about 50 pounds. It turned out real good and it only cost me $35.00 in material. Its nice and warm on thoes cold and windy michigan day and nights.
[signature]
mirror to mirror theory needs to be experienced , take a mirror , even a small one and hold it up to another mirror . the bathroom mirror and a ladys compact mirror will do o.k. . now how many reflections do you see ?

there thoughts were that the sonic impulse would do the same , reflect off the bottom of the lake and the mirror like bottom of the ice , turning one fish into a thousand fish . another idea was the pulse would travel thru out the lake reflecting up and down and return back to give false readings of fish that were not even near the area . one other guy sudgested if more than one person was useing a detector , there would be hundreds of echo imiges and would scramble the screen .

i wasen't too sure , so i thought i'de ask the experts here , my wifes thoughts were , " don't guys ever read the directions ? "
[signature]

I could see some difficulty arise if 2 guys were fishing quite close too each other, and using the same brand or type of locator. The wavelenghts,or signals, might interfere with each other.
I've only used my Humminbird wide 100 near other fishing buddies who were using Vexilar FL-8's, and have never experienced any problems.
[signature]

Stormy,
Send your name and mailing address to,
Gene Clifford
51 South St
Valparaiso, In 46383
and I'll send a copy of the literature I got when I purchased it.

It is pretty much like the cover on a baby buggy, half ovals connected at a pivot point.
[signature]