Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quail & Sand
Hit Quail Creek and Sand Hollow this weekend. When I first arrived...I found out I had a dead battery...so I used the trolling motor all day on Quail. Caught a couple of nice ones in the same amount of time...then had out of necessity to look for that darn battery. I picked up a $90 battery for a little over $60 in St. George.

Over at Sand Hollow between three boats we landed about 30-40 bass all released...with the biggest one weighing in at 5 lb 6 oz.
[signature]
Thanks for the post bassrods

what were you fishing with?

daniel
[signature]
We were using drop shot with worms and tubs in about 5 colors the trick was finding them and going weedless and going snagless with Mojo ...
And all three boats were using them...

[signature]
Hey how far are those 2 waters from each other? I plan on camping out at sand hollow this summer.Is it fishable from shore or is it better to have a boat?
[signature]
There is plenty of shore to fish, but it is better on a boat as for most places. Dropshot works great, just as Bassrods said or wacky rig a senko. Maybe a 5-7 minute drive back to Quail (and bigger fish) PM me. [inline sand_hollow.jpg] [signature]
[signature]
Temperatures in the summer down in that area peak at over 110 degrees...don't forget your sunscreen...but if at Sand Hollow you can almost see Quail Creek if you look north.

That picture from fish4fun is an old one cause all the rocks you can see and the island in the background are all under 30 feet of water now.

The water is rising and prognosis is over two more feet up to full pool.

The Parks Service...hosts are excellent people...very friendly and bend over backwards helping with advice and making your visit a pleasure. It's too bad all Park Service hosts are not as friendly and helpful as they are at Sand Hollow.

[signature]
How are the camping areas now and what was the surface temp?
[signature]
I forgot it gets super hot down that way!![pirate] What time of year is best april-june? I keep hearing about the big bass down there and want to try and catch some. Also i saw on dougies show a while back that they have off road recreation areas at sand hollow.Seems like the perfect place to go for the weekend.Do you happen to know how far it is from nephi?
[signature]
The camping is limited but good if you can get a spot on the far side of the lake....

When we was there the temp was 44 to 45 ...
From Nephi it is about 200 miles to the water...

[signature]
April through May is not bad heat but after that its hot...
The fishing is good year round as long as you can find the fish...

[signature]
Cesar the lakes are in close proxmity to st. george.
[signature]
Do you guys bother fishing gunlock while down there, i know with the floods the water quality wasnt great and all, but i have always heard that it is a good bass water? are the other 2 better watters? or is the hype for the 2 new lakes taking pressure off of gunlock, leaving a gem of a water?
[signature]
I am thinking of fishing Quail within the next couple of weeks. I have a toon and am wondering if it is good lake to fish out of it? I hear the trout fishing is good and would like to take my flyrod out and give it a go.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Quail Lake is ideal for tubing and tooning. The State Park launch area is right in the middle, between the dam and the creek inlet on the upper end. It is small enough that you could cover the whole lake in a full day of kicking around the shoreline.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Depending on the time of year, and the boat traffic, you could target trout, bass or big crappies. Very soon, the crappies will be moving in around the flooded trees and brush at the upper end of the lake, and are ideal candidates for "dip sticking" with a long rod and small jigs.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As the water begins to warm in the next month or so, the bass will move shallower too, and can be taken on spinnerbaits or shallow plastics. Virtually the entire shoreline can hold fish, but they do move around. A good sonar and a full box of lures can help make sure you get into them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Right now the water is fairly cool and the trout are providing good action both for trollers and for those casting small jigs or spinners near the dam. There have been some good sized bows taken recently. Just be sure you time it right weatherwise. When I drove by there on Tuesday morning, the 30 mph winds had the lake looking like the north Atlantic. That ain't good for tubes and toons.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Yes we do but you can catch moore fish at sand this time of year...
Gunlock can be a tuff lake to fish at times...
[signature]
TD,

Thanks for the info I am going to have to give it a try. Will diffenitly check the weather I know how the wind can blow around here.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Quail and/or Sand Hollow are on my hit list for an early assault too. Keep in touch by PM and maybe we can "hook up" down there. Love the basses but can't wait to hang some big ol' slab crappies this spring too. I might even wave my fairy wand for some of those troutskis.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have both an Outcast Super Fat Cat tube and an Outcast Cougar pontoon.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you haven't found the tubing and tooning board, come on over. [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?forum=81;"]LINK TO BOARD[/url][/#0000ff]
[signature]
TD,

That sounds like a great idea. I could use someone to show me how to catch those big mouths. I don't do much of that. [Sad]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I've managed to do pretty well on them over the years, but anyone who says they catch them all the time will lie about other things too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As with most fishing, the R & D is the fun part. And, once you learn a few of the basics, you can usually score often enough to keep it interesting. Then comes a lifetime of continuously learning more and getting humbled every time you start to think you have it figured out. (Kinda like dealing with the opposite sex...whatever that is)[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Your Sand Hollow picture is way out dated. A couple weeks ago, Sand Hollow was 38 feet higher than its previous high water level. Just 3 feet from totally full. All those rocks are submerged, and there is no sandy beaches until they decide to pump some water out..

[signature]