Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help needed for the residents of Hopedale, LA!
[left][font "Arial"][size 3]For those who would like to help the people who were impacted by hurricane "Katrina", you might want to read this letter that I sent to someone who was wanting to do just that. If your intrested in helping with this project, please email me and let me know.

THE LETTER I WROTE:

Hi Ron,

Do you still feel like helping our small little community? When all this happened and you wrote to us asking what could you do for our little town, I couldn't think of anything at the time. We were all in limbo over FEMA trailers and what everybody as a group needed. But now I'm clear on what is need in our little community.

FEMA trailers and most travel trailers don't have washer and dryers in them. Since the devastation affected such a large area, the people in our community have to drive over an hour to reach a Laundromat and then drive over an hour to get back home. My plan is to raise enough money to purchase a small portable building and a couple of washer and dryers to place inside of it. This is the one thing that will benefit our whole community and I want it to be a place where they can wash their clothes for free (if I can work out something with the parish on the electric).

I have just started with trying to raise this money and have placed a few things that I have found in the marsh on eBay to help with this project. This weekend I will try to find more items in the marsh that survived hurricane "Katrina" and place them on eBay too. Every weekend I will try to comb the marsh for more items.

Our community now has about 20 to 25 FEMA trailers in it and several families that couldn't wait for FEMA bought travel trailers. Others who don't have FEMA trailers and can't afford a travel trailer are sleeping in tents. I don't know how those in tents can do it since [url "http://mapserver.maptech.com/homepage/index.cfm?lat=29.820280&lon=-89.656670&scale=40000&type=0&zoom=50&size=B&bpid=R10018037518&CFID=1493337&CFTOKEN=85598508"]Hopedale[/url] is [url "http://store.rodnreel.com/detail.aspx?ID=3"]mosquito[/url] city and now lately it has been bad with the [url "http://store.rodnreel.com/detail.aspx?ID=3"]gnats[/url]. Oh, and we do have the families that are sleeping on their oyster boats, that is, the boats that managed to survive the storm. The cabins are not that big on these boats since they have mostly deck space for the oystering. The cabins on the boats are probably 8'x8' and have just enough room to turn from the stove to the bunk beds. Really they are not made to house people. It's just for relaxing for a minute on the water in between their pulls.

If you still would like to help us, please let me know. We have a Home Depot that has opened up close and a Lowe's that is a few towns away that we could get to. I say this so that if you raise enough money for a washer, dryer or portable building, you can just call them up and either order it for our community or send a gift card from one of these stores and I can purchase it here. I just want simple washing machines and simple dryers, nothing fancy but they do need to be the largest capacity possible.

Thanks so much for your time!

Sincerely,
Alysha
www.louisiana-fishing-expeditions.com

P.S. For Christmas we had a few people who stayed in Hopedale so I went to the Dollar Tree (everything a $1 store) and bought coffee mugs, then put in Hershey Kisses with almonds and a pack of hot chocolate with marshmallows and went door to door (or should I say FEMA trailer to FEMA trailer) handing it out, along with a Christmas card, to the residents who stayed behind in Hopedale for Christmas. It really made Christmas special to see that such a small gift could bring a Smile to residents of Hopedale.[/size][/font][/left]
[signature]