Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
east canyon report 1-21-06
hit east canyon with fishinpro40 and son and my parents, we hit the ice at 8ish, seen alot of other people fishing didn't see much success though .
we went by the bouys past taylors hollow and mother iced one and the rest of us watched LOL so it was quite slow
DZ
[signature]
We also hit EC Sat.Started off the boatramp and had 3 bites in about 2 1/2 hours of trying.Packed up and moved to the south end where the small city was setup on the ice and decided to keep away from them so we fished by the bouys till dark.Iced one apiece and had one break off.Anybody else sense East Canyon is slowing down???
[signature]
I also fished at the State Park area on Saturday. We has seen the good reports from EC and decided to give it a try. We fished to the North of the ramp in 18" of water with mixed success. My wife iced 4 nice 15" to 17" Bows before I even got set up. We put her and my Daughter in Law in the shack and them set up for my son and myself. We marked a lot of fish most of the morning but only iced about 6 more good sized fish. I switched from a booger to a small ice jig and started to pull up some 6" to 9" Baby Bows.
I think that much of what I saw on the finder was these babies. I had a lot of hits with no hook ups before I went to the small jig.
It appears that like some other waters, when the ice first comes on the fishing is best and slows down after several weeks of fishing pressure.
It looks like the same thing is happening at Strawberry. The reports are not as good as they were last month unless you move to new water that hasn't seen all the pressure.
[signature]
I think we fished right by you when we first got there.Then we pulled our stuff by you and headed to the point between where you were and the dam.Didn't get anything there so we pulled out and headed south.We wre the one's with everything but the kitchen sink on a big sled we were pullin.I need a snowmobile!!!!
[signature]
Brought my brother and 5 kids hoping to bring home a lot of trout. Things were pretty slow; we caught 9 between the 4 that were focused on fishing. Did the best with night crawlers and paddle bugs with smelly jelly or pro-cure scents on them. Most fish were between 13-25', through would see them come off the bottom. Marked a lot of fish on the finder but they just weren't interested. Glad to hear that others had similar luck; thought I'd lost my touch as I've been skunked at Rockport 3/3 trials and Mantua wasn't much better!
[signature]
I was up as EC sturday as well from 9:30 - 1:30 and the fishing was ok. I was the furthest one south, I came out from that scout camp. I was in ten feet of water and caught three fish, one 14", 2 16". should have caught five more but I hooked 'em then they found a way to get off. not extreamly fast, but not too bad in point of veiw. I saw that most of you were up around talor hollow area. maybe next time try further south. one more thing the ice was very slushy on top with at least four inches of wet slush and water. the ice was fine under it but it was a bit scarry at first. fun day
[signature]
Slimer, how was the ice in the middle of the lake? Has it started to freeze over? 2 weeks ago it was open water but it has been a little colder since then. Did you guys venture out past the bouys by the ramp?
[signature]
We did head out a little farther when we changed spots and moved closer to the dam.Some areas on the way were slushy and then some were totally froze up.We ended up fishin off the points next to the cove that heads north from the dam.The ice there was a good 7-8 inches.Observed some guys cross the whole lake in front of the dam to fish the other side.They made it ok but it looked like they were hugging the shore the whole time.The fishin must not have been worth a damn cuz they didn't stay long.Noticed alot of people fishin the arm of the lake where the road to Henefer comes in.Anyone know how that area produced??
[signature]
Yea I have noticed alot of people fishing in that bay where the 2 roads come together also. I haven't heard of any reports from there though. I did mark a few fish in there when I was trolling in Nov.

The other area I was aking about is about strait off the boat ramp all the way to the other side of the lake. Sounds like the ice may not be too great though. It was open 2 weeks ago when I was there.

Thanks.
[signature]
You need to steal Johns Banana SJ. James told me he ordered some about two weeks ago. He should have it by now. Sorry to hear about the slow weekend. Wiperhunter 2 had a bad weekend up there a few weeks back, but then it picked up again. Hope that is the case here.
[signature]