Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latest Cisco Run and Bear Lake Conditions (its icy!)
[size 3]Fishing Report and Conditions at Bear Lake[/size]
[size 3]Tuesday, January 24, 2006[/size]
[size 3] [/size]
[size 3]The cisco run is in full swing on Bear Lake. The run should peak this week and then begin tapering off through the weekend. Limits of cisco are being dip netted both at Cisco Beach and off the Utah State Park marina. With open water conditions, the dip netting is easily affected by weather. If the wind in blowing then it makes dipping fish difficult. It is hard to see the fish and the fish do not come in as close to shore. Fish have been running the best in the mornings, but anglers are also able to dip limits in the afternoons too. Come prepared with waders and a change of clothes just in case you slip on the rocks and accidentally get wet. [/size]
[size 3] [/size]
[size 3]Access to the lake by boats is difficult at this time. The Utah State Park Marina is frozen and boats can no longer be launched at the marina. The only other options for launching are the boat ramp at Cisco Beach and off the shoreline areas. All sizes of boats can be launched from the ramp at Cisco Beach. The ramp is slippery and 4-wheel drive is required. Launching from shore is limited to smaller boats that can be manually pushed off or pulled on the trailer during launching/loading. Be cautious of snow drifts and soft sand under the snow.[/size]
[size 3] [/size]
[size 3]Fishing over the rockpile area has been restricted the last few days due to ice in this area. There is no safe ice for ice fishing as of yet. Anglers who have fished from boats are catching good numbers of cutthroat trout and several nice lake trout. Some whitefish are also being caught along the weed beds south of Gus Rich Point and north of the State Route 30 rest area. Tube jigs tipped with cisco are the best bet right now for cutthroat and lake trout. Use Swedish pimples, castmasters, and other jigging spoons in smaller sizes for the whitefish. You might also try using a dropper with an ice fly tipped with a waxworm or mealworm about a foot below the castmaster.[/size]
[size 3] [/size]
[size 3]A few things to remember when fishing Bear Lake: 1) Come prepared for bitter cold and winter conditions. 2) The daily and possession limit is 30 cisco and this will be strictly enforced. 3) The Bear Lake UDWR office is updating the telephone answering machine with the latest cisco run conditions on a daily biases. PLEASE CALL AFTER 4:00 pm SO THE PHONE WILL NOT HAVE TO BE ANSWERED BY OFFICE STAFF. (435) 946-8501 [/size]
[size 3] [/size]There is approximately 10" of snow on the ground in the Garden City area and about 4" of snow along the east side of the lake.
[signature]
When I pulled out Saturday evening I had to break a lot of ice to get back in. I wondered how much longer it would be until it froze over.
[signature]
Does anyone think that we might be able to ice fish on Bear Lake this year? Just wondering.

AFdan52
[signature]
From the looks of it last saturday, it appeared that about 10 more calm, cold nights would maybe create a cap. After that, you know the possibilities. My luck was crap on saturday. i fished way too deep. Most trout seemed to be caught around 55 to 70 ft. I was out going for a laker in 85 ft. Too deep at this time I believe. Hopefully, it'll ice up. I have seemed to always do better (number wise) on ice. Prob. due to more perfect presentation and lighter equiptment. GLA
[signature]
When I left the house about 7:30 Wednesday headed for Cisco Beach it was -3*. 15 minutes later, going past North Beach, it was 16 degrees. Driving down the East side you could see ice rafts floating out in the lake. Hopefully they will thicken and spread!
[signature]