Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help buying a fishing pole
I am fairly new to fishing and was wondering what is a good pole to buy. I already have a reel, so i just need the pole. I am looking to buy a lighter pole, if anyone can help i would really appreciate it.
[signature]

I'm impressed with the new redington spin rods, price for quality is tough to beat.
But we probably need more info to pick the perfect rod for you,type of fishing you'll be useing it for,species your after etc.
[signature]
You just gotta love St.Croix rods. Fenwick makes some dandys too. I assume you want a cheaper rod, but who knows. You can go two ways, local shop, or catalog. I always like to go local on rods, ya gotta feel em before you buy em. But, if you have felt a rod, like it and find it in a catalog you prefer, that works too. Local shops can help you select a rod that will suit your needs, but be careful to make sure you like the rod, sometimes the guys at tackle stores just throw a rod at you and say I really like this one! Yeah, thanks buddy! Tell them what you want, and make them tell you why its the best rod for your money. Or, just go see james at hooked, hes not a dork.
[signature]
I have a shakespeare synergy series light action spinning rod and I love it. It is IM-6 graphite and has great feel. It has enough backbone to land a decent fish but light enough to enjoy small fish. The rod really has great feel and has been very good for me. It only cost 20 bucks which is a huge bargain for how nice of a rod it is. Just my two cents

Hoosier
[signature]
Well i am not too sure what i want to fish for i guess all of the fish utah has to offer. I do like bass alot. I guess with time i will get everything figured out and know what i want. I will probably buy a rod from sportsmens warehouse, so asking them too might not be a bad idea. Thanks
[signature]
I can't really say what rod to buy. There are so many, at so many price ranges! If I were you, I would hit Hooked in Kaysville to buy a rod. They will sit down with you and go over every aspect of your plans for fishing. They will take the time to get you the right rod and explain why you need that rod. I used to hit Sportsmans for the same reason, but quickly learned when it comes to fishing, you can't beat the guys at Hooked. Just my two cents..

F4F
[signature]
Sportsmans rod selection sucks if you ask me. They have a lot of high end, high dollar g-loomis stuff, and then a lot of cheap junk but theyre rod selection needs some serious help. Anglers in has about the best total rod selection I have seen, but they tend to just chuck you the rod they are trying to get rid of and say heres the one you need.
[signature]
Hey Chin I opened this can of worms last summer (laughing to himself). I still haven't replaced my old rod. But man have I learned a lot about them since then. I agree with Pred on the St Croix a mighty fine rod but a bit pricy if you are on a budget. I'm saving my pennis and dimes and that will be my next purchase.

Sportsmans Wharehouse is a good place to get a lot of fishing stuff, but their rods are truly limited. They seem to push Ugly Sticks (at least that is what they did for me). Anglers Inn has a sweet but small collection, but the sale guy I talked with just wanted to sell me this top of the line baby. I'll bet ya the folks at Hooked might be your best bet if you live in the area. I personally like the Indy shops (locally owned), you seem to get better service and they seem to stand behind what they sell better. But before I would suggest any one rod I would need to know a whole lot more. If your just a guy who goes every once in a while, not to serious about it, but want to catch fish now and again. Then pick up a cheapo at Wal-Mart, Sportmans, or any where else you find one that feels good to you. Take your reel along when go. Wouldn't want to buy one then have it not feel right or worse. Just my 2 cents and I'm still looking for the perfect rod for me.
[signature]
G Loomis you can't go wrong....
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]From a kinda cheap a$$ that is hard on gear I suggest you look over the Bass Pro catalog and look through the rod selection. Cabela's has a good selection too. You can decide what the line weight, length, handle style, and action needs to be and then decide how much you wish to spend. I have custom Seeker rods, St Croix, Shimano, Ugly sticks. Penn etc, etc, etc. It's hard to beat the Bass Pro brand rods for performance and price. I fish with a Bass Pro Bionic Blade everyday I'm on Bear Lake and it give me everything I ask for. Plus if you can't make up your mind you can buy two and get a FREE one for the cost of one St. Croix or G Loomis and have all your bases covered. JMHO...[/size][/font]
[signature]
Well thanks for everyone's input. From reading all of this and talking with a few people at work i think i will go with a St Croix rod, depending on the price. Thanks again.
[signature]