Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 1/28/2006
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Headed up to the Berry with IFG, Theekillerbee, Fackin Dave, Tomegun, BBW, Polokid, and last but in no way least, Danzilla. We met at the Sinclair staion in Heber City and caravaned up to the lake. Our goal was to head for the Soldier Creek side and try and find IFG his elusive monster rainbow.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We drove to the to the last pull off where the road turns off the highway to the a dam. No way. It was packed and there was no way we were going to be able to find parking for 4 rigs, especially with two towing trailers. I hate frickin' Saturday fishing anyway...[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We went back to the Soldier Creek Marina turn off and were fortunate to squeeze ourselves in. We unloaded and headed down the snow packed road towards the marina and the lake. The snow machines had little trouble traversing the road but the 4-wheeler that Polo and Danzilla were on had problems breaking through and getting bogged down.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We hit the lake near Soldier Creek Marina and set up. The fishing was extremely slow and for the first hour we were luck to see a fish on sonar, let alone pull one through the ice. We moved around a couple of times and still no decent luck. Polo was getting his share of hits and BBW was knocking a few down but all fish were few and far between.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We ended up heading for the narrows. The snow on the ice was approximately 12-18 inches deep of fresh powder. once we got up lake near the narrows. We stopped at one place and tried it but very little luck and moved off another point near the entrance of the narrows when I broke the pull rope on my sled. Luckily, it started. I was done. We headed out and got things loaded up. If that machine would of died it would of been a long tow job back.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Turns out breaking that rope and heading back was a good thing. The snow was starting to drop and we managed to have fairly clear roads all the way home except for Sardine Canyon.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We sure had a good time though the fishing sucked. It was good to get out with everyone involved. We'll have to do it again after my machine is repaired![/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Sorry to hear about the pull rope, I know how that feels, I broke the pull rope on my auger Wed, But I did not get it going again until $20.00 later to get it fixed. Did you find any Slush by the Marina? When we headed that way on Wed we hit some areas with slush so we turned around.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]There were isolated area of slush but for the most part, it was pretty good sailin' everywhere we went.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Sounds like Strawberry is still tough fishing except for a few reports that have been posted. It could remain this way for the rest of the ice season. Thanks for the report.
[signature]
[red][size 3]I definitely learned yesterday, no matter how bad of a ATV you have, snowmobiles were invented to go through 3-4 feet of snow, not a ATV. Danzilla and I got stuck on the trek down to the ice in that much snow. Luckily we had a winch and got a tow. [/size][/red]
[red][size 3][/size][/red]
[red][size 3]The age long statement: If I could have only hooked up on the bites I was getting!!! I had a ton of bites for the limited amount of time i was up there. But besides getting stuck, I had a good time hanging with the crew that was with us!!![/size][/red]
[signature]
See what happens when you don't listen to me[blush]. We sucked bigtime. Less than 20 fish between 8 of us. At least, I have an excuse. I was bass fishing[Wink].

[signature]
it was great to finally meet the one that I'd never meet yet and to see the ones that I hadn't seen in a while.
I only with that the fish would have been more interested in meeting us also.
oh well maybe next time
DZ
[signature]
Truly was a very slow day at the big bad berry. I blame it on fishing unknown waters! Was nice to fish with all of the boys though. It was quite fortunate that Rich's sled was all in, 'cause if we would have stayed another few hours, the drive really would have sucked!
[signature]
even with everything that went wrong, its still nice to be with good friends and company.
thanks for sharing
[signature]
Wish I could of hung out with you all .Sounds like a good time . Dang the luck on the rope . I know I'm hard on them . When I fished the Soldier Creek side I always did well in deeper water . How deep did you fish ?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Hi Randy,[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3] [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We fished from 50 ft up to 13 ft. The fish I caught were in shallow and it seemed like all the fish we caught were 35 ft and shallower. Sorry you couldn't make it. We usually go out every weekend and you are always welcome to come along![/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[reply]
Sounds like Strawberry is still tough fishing except for a few reports that have been posted. It could remain this way for the rest of the ice season. [/reply]

Man, don't be saying those kinda things!!!! They hurt my ears! [Sad]
[signature]
Thanks for the report Rich. wish i could have joined ya...
[signature]
Sorry BigCat, but it seems to get that way every year. Being mobile helps alot so you can get to isolated areas. But heck I will not give up on the berry, Can't wait to get back up there.
[signature]
Thanks . I would be a slow wheel in that snow on foot . I've viewed thru the ice big bows in 8' of water and have hooked them in 56' of water on the bottom there . The Big Bows I have hooked there like there offering resting on the bottom with no movement from my experience but it is hard to see them pick it up . Most important is to fish on days that are not part of the weekend .[Wink]
Tell ole Scott not to get tunnelvision on them bows . There are other big fish to be had in the Utah waters .
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Looks like someone has been chasin' big browns and winning! LOL! Dandy fish, Randy! Good entry for the Challenge, Congrats![/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
If you are going to park at the turn off to Soldier Creek Dam, you better be there before the sun comes up or you will find no place to park. We got there before you and found parking, but it filled up the rest of the way within 15 minutes after our arrival. The snow depth is much less on the east side and the trail down is ATV drivable with no problems. I measured the snow depth up to my rims on the ice (4 inches) and traveling was a breeze. I caught 20 fish, my son 2, and my partner 6 or 8. We had a good day, or rather I had a good day. Like you, we found the fish in 35 feet of water and less. I fished 36 feet with half my catch at 25 and the rest right on the bottom. I marked fish all day, they just got picky and I had to really work them to get them to bite. If I jigged and got them off the bottom to follow my lure up a few feet, I could usually get them to bite. Thank goodness for the Vexilar or I think I'd have been skunked. Had to put a tip sensor on the rod as the bite was so light. Wadda Crickets tipped with most anything worked well. Wax worms was the best in the early morning and then bits of minnows or worms later.
[signature]