Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bass/ carp/ bluegill on a fly
So who targets warmwater fish on flies? I'm looking to do some warmwater fly fishing this year (especially in may/ june when the streams turn to chocolate). Anyone fly fish around Utah Lake? What other warm water opportunities exist in the Utah County area?
[signature]
A little bit of a drive but, Pelican has enormous bluegill, plus bass and Mantua has both plus the perch that some idiot decided they needed...NOT! This was caught on a Chartreuse and yellow cone head soft hackle.

[inline DSC02361.jpg]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I fling flies for white bass, walleyes and cats on Utah Lake. [/#0000ff][#0000ff]If you can find fish they will hit flies. I fish them mostly on a five or six weight system, with a sink tip line. I also fish flies on spinning gear, rigged drop shot style. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The depths are not usually more than a few feet, but you have to have it near the bottom for best results. But, in rocky areas like Lincoln Beach, you can snag a lot. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Much of the best fly fishing is off the creek inlets, like Battle Creek (near Lindon), the mouth of Benjamin Slough (Lincoln Beach) and the mouth of the American Fork River (AF Boat Harbor).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am attaching pics of some of the patterns I use for warm water species. Some are "hot" colors, for cold and/or murky water conditions. Some are contrasting combo colors, for increased visibility. However, it is hard to beat plain white, black or purple at times.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Note the "Over and Under" patterns. They work on troutskis and other species too. In fact, for the first few weeks after ice out, it is not uncommon to hook an occasional brown or rainbow that came down the Provo or other tributary during the winter.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Anyone have a favorite Bluegill pattern they want to share? Do they take dries on top or retrieved wets and nymphs? Those patterns look sweet for the whiteys TD! I've been realizing lately that I need to get tying for this spring and summer before it gets here. Can't wait for the baetis to start up!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Bluegills are pretty "democratic". When they are active, it is harder to find something they won't hit than something they will. Obviously, there will be some that work better than others. But, it is seldom a case of "match the hatch".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Almost any small, dark pattern will work. They are opportunistic feeders and anything that looks buggy will get bit. Hares' ears are a universal favorite with 'gill hunters. Any good mayfly or damselfly nymph will work too. And, since 'gills eat minnows as well as invertebrates, anything that resembles fish fry will get their attention.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One of my all around favorite flies for almost all species is the Silver Hilton...a steelhead fly from the Northwest. (see pic). On Pelican Lake, I have had hundred fish days in the spring on this pattern, while taking a fair number of decent sized bass on the same size 10, 8 and 6 flies.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the way, I once won a bet on Willard Bay by catching a limit of channel cats on silver hiltons within an hour.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Another great bluegill fly is the renegade. Save the ones that get chewed up by trout and serve them to the bluegills. They don't care whether they float or sink. If the fish are cruising shallow and looking up, they will sip dries. If not they will take them anywhere between top and bottom.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Probably the biggest thing with fishing bluegills where you can't see the take is being able to feel them. I point the rod right at the unseen fly and strip in short strips, holding the line. Whenever I feel the little tick, of a 'gill sucking in the fly, I pull back with the stripping hand. If I feel any resistance I raise the rod. Game on.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Nothing subtle about most of the other warm water species. Usually a solid thump when they hit the flies. A big channel cat will sometimes haul down hard and try to take the rod away from you.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Although I have caught them on Chronomids, when up at Peilican with a large group of people from another forum, I was killing them on a Cone head Yellow and Chartruse soft hackle also a Black Marabou nymph with intermediate line. Around 250 Bluegill and Bass in two days.
[signature]
Excellent fly Patterns,they would do well at willard and pineview for crappie also. Chartreuse and white just can not go wrong.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Right you are. In fact, I used to fish crappies on Willard with a tandem fly rig. The point fly was usually a simple chartreuse chenille body with a few wisps of chartreuse marabou. The dropper fly was made the same, only with white body and tail. When the fish were really in, I often hooked doubles. But on the really good days I doubt that the pattern or color would have made much difference.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Oh yeah, the carp in there hit those flies pretty good too. I landed several big ol' buglemouths on 4# tippet, on my 5 weight, that weighed over 20 pounds. I got to see what my backing looked like.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
That sounds like a blast TubeDude! Thanks for the tips everyone.
[signature]