Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
flyfishing from a tube
hey all fellow tubers,

Does any one know the best way to fly fish from a tube? I am willing to try a lot of things. Does any one know some secrets too fishing jordanelle res. in utah. going up soon and want to catch a fish for the first time in a tube.
Smellin ol'coots cookin
FB2
[signature]
[cool] Welcome to the site, FB2. I heard Santa got you into the float tube game. Hope you don't jump the gun and get yourself frozen into a big ice cake up there on one of those lakes. I got pushed off Starvation by a big sheet of wind-blown ice late one February. I got out just ahead of it, as it pushed a long ways up the face of the dam. Probably wouldn't have done me or my tube much good if I had stayed to play in the ice.

Early season flyrodding is going to be one of two things. If you fish right at ice out, you can sometimes find rainbows and browns cruising shallow, right along the edge of the receding ice. That's what I was doing at Starvation, and I have also taken some big early browns on Deer Creek that way too. This year there might not be enough ice to play that game.

The other approach is to either cast a sinking line and let it settle deep, before bringing it back up through the water column. This usually works best over the flats, where the water might be anywhere from 6 to 20 feet deep. If you have a good high density full sinking line, you don't need to make long casts if you have a float tube. Just work out a comfortable cast, and then kick backward slowly as you feed out more line...enough to get it down near the bottom. That's known as the float tubers distance cast.

The variables will be in the speed of your slow backward troll...with some occasional stops...or twitches on the line to stimulate a strike. And, there is also the matter of what size and color flies to use. Early in the year, anything black is a good place to start. Black with some white or chartreuse is also good. If the water is colored up much, you will have to fish even slower and you should tie on something with bright colors...like red or chartreuse. Small to medium sized flies work better right at ice out, but after the ice has been off the water a few days the fish often become more active in the newly oxygenated water. Then you can break out the big streamers and wooly buggers. That green one you like should work fine. One of my best wooly buggers on Strawberry is a dark green body with a brown tail, and brown hackle. If you don't have any of those, let me know and I'll whip you up a few before you are ready to launch up there again.

If you have any specific questions, pop in anytime. Or, if you have a special concern, you know how to reach me. Always glad to contribute to your delinquincy. You're danged near as bad as I was at your age...but you are probably a better fisherman, cause your dad is a great teacher.
[signature]
thanks tube tude great info. I dont have any of that type of wolly. I am going to learn how to tie wollies by the owner of a flyshop here in town some day after school. I will tell you how it goes.

greatful for a friend like you,

FB2
[signature]
[cool] Before things get too serious in the spring, I will send you a selection of my favorite patterns. Got to get time to sit down at the old tying bench and crank up some new stuff. I'll also make up some of those bait bug jigs like I sent to your dad. They work great for vertical jigging from the tube.

Does your dad still have the writeups I sent on those jigs, or did he lose those when you guys switched your email service? Be happy to attach them on a PM if you'd like them for yourself.
[signature]
hey tubedude,

I do not know whether or not my dad still has those writeups. i would appreciate some new flys but even more learning to tie good flies. all of the flys i tie right now are ugly so i am still buying flys and trying to copy them.

Talk to you soon,

FB2
[signature]
[cool] No matter how many birth certificates you look at, you will never see one that says "Born Fly Tier". It is truly an art that must be learned...and practiced. For me it has been a life-long source of personal enjoyment, as well as a means of having all my flies tied just the way I want them...in just the right sizes.

You mentioned having someone to give you some coaching. That's one of the best ways of getting a feel for the techniques. But, with the internet sources we have these days, there are hundreds of sites you can visit to get good info and find new patterns. I'll help you with some links if you like.

I have a new digital camera I'm playing with, as well as a scanner. I will set up some step by step shots, with instructions, to help you with the patterns I'll be sending.

By the way, did you get those fins adjusted and wet yet?
[signature]
I JUST GOT TO USE THE TUBE AND FINS TODAY My dad finnaly got to take me up to jordanelle. he caught six small rainbows and i caught 1. we caught them breaking ice in a rocking manor. i think the movement triggered the bites. we were using a white foxy with garlic scent. thinking i can get used to this. I would love for you to send me some step-by-step hints on tying flies. goind up to fish the small lakes by timp this summer some patterns for up there would be cool if you have them.

great trips make the world go round

FB2
[signature]
[cool] I've always said that you ain't an official float tube nut until you've broken your way out through the ice to fish. And here you've gone and done it on your first official trip. Man, things can only get better from here.

Never did find out what size and weight rod you are using...for flies. That won't really matter, when it comes to the size and type flies you use, but I have a few extra lines laying around in the six weight area. Have a couple of full sinking and a sink tip or two. What do you use most.

Have you checked out any websites on tying yet? I know there are a ton of them. You also have a couple of flyfishing websites in Utah, that have some good tubers in the crowd. You should beg and grovel your way into a couple of trips and watch the pros. That's always a good way to to learn.

I'm a TubeDude of my word. I will get you some flies and the instructions of how to tie them. I might also have some extra necks and chenille taking up space in my dusty bins of feathers and such. Might even get them to you before Santa can make it there again. Maybe even before you don't have to break your way out through the ice.

Hey, be careful you don't get frozen into a big "tubecicle". Maybe you should take an ice auger out with you, just to be safe.
[signature]
i think that i will do that tube dude, beg and grovel in to a few trips out with some pros. as for an ic auger i just grab my hand net and beat the crap out of the thicker sections. can you tell me some fly tying websites. i will check those out. if you read my post on the utah forum on the provo river you will see that i have already broke into the pros network, i went out with a certified guide and expert for free. this guy even buys me flies when i dont have any cash on me. it great to live in a small town.

Great trips make the world go round

FB2
[signature]

Hey there Fishboy2,

If you come to Southern California and want to play in the ice, you'll want and hit Lake Big Bear during these winter months. I heard that those who were braving the ice 'Up the Hill' were doing well by the observatory between shore and the ice shelf edges.

This post is for both you and the local guys that might want to become a popcicle in a donut.

tsurikichi
[signature]
[cool] Sounds like you broke the code on getting help where you need it. When I was young and cute (Never) I got some good assistance too. That's what it's all about. Be grateful for the help you get from others now, and then pay it back the rest of your life, whenever you see someone else who needs it.
[signature]