Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hot Fishing Action Continues in Miami, FL
January flew by like a blur. The wind conditions ranged from almost flat calm to blowing a gale. For the most part we had some downright windy conditions. The cold fronts came through on a regular basis with little time for calmer winds in between. Despite all this, we had excellent sailfishing, wonderful tarpon fishing, good kingfishing, and dolphin came through in their normal manner for this time of year. February looks like some more of the same conditions and I expect the fishing to be just as good.

We ended the month on a high note and have started February in the same manner. Here are the details of my last several trips.

Sunday (1/29) Ron Bowerman along with Jeanna, Bill, and Jesse came over from the west coast of Florida to sample the offshore fishing on our east coast. Bait fishing was a snap and they almost wanted to stay longer since they were having so much fun. Offshore we went in 4 - 6 foot seas and put out our spread of flatlines and kite baits. First action came on a flatline and everything was going fine until the line broke. We had a lull in the action until Bill watched a sailfish eat the short kite bait. Jesse took the rod and 10 minutes later he released his first sailfish. The next action came on the kite again when a dolphin knocked the bait off the hook. It swam out and ate a flatline bait and Ron caught his first dolphin. Later in the day, Bill added another dolphin to the box.

Tuesday (1/31) Jim Lefevre, his niece Beth, and her husband Jim were out for an evening of tarpon fishing. We started at Government and just couldn't seem to get the tarpon to cooperate on either side. We ran back up the Bay to Haulover and on our first drift, Beth got to experience the thrill of catching her first tarpon. She picked on a 100 pounder and it gave her the fight of her lifetime. The jumps and run were spectacular. Toward the end, she needed some help from her uncle, and Jim put plenty of pressure on the fish to get it boat side for pictures. With the tide coming in, we moved to the mouth of the Inlet and it was Beth's husband Jim's turn. He picked on a more moderate size fish and it put up quite a tussle before being released. The next drift, he hooked it's twin and it too put up a great fight. We ended the evening going 3 for 3.

Wednesday (2/1) evening, Tim and Mark Burrel were out for another evening of tarpon fishing. The first drift at Haulover had Tim catching and releasing a 10 pound jack crevalle. The next drift produced no strikes, so we moved down the beach. Our first drift there had Tim fighting a large tarpon. It made several jumps a long distance away from the boat so it was difficult to estimate the size. We got the leader to touch the rod tip before the hook pulled. The next drift, Tim was hooked up again. This time we got a good look at the 70 pound fish. Another drift and this time, Mark's rod got hit and we didn't hook up. Then the fish moved and we had to search them out. We found them just to the south of the Inlet and Tim got an 80 pound fish. Then we missed a hook up again on Tim's rod. On the last drift of the evening, once again Tim's rod hooked up and this time Mark fought the 70 pound fish. We ended the evening going 4 for 6, all caught with live shrimp. For whatever reason, we just couldn't get a tarpon to hit Mark's outfit except for one time.

We're now current with the fishing reports and I have most of February booked for either a day or evening trip. Sailfishing is still going strong and tarpon fishing is doing the same. We still have several more months for this great action to continue. Give me a call and lets get your fishing trip scheduled.

On February 18th, I'll be with Shakespeare/Pflueger at the annual Spring Classic event held at the Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World in Dania Beach. I'm scheduled to do a tarpon seminar and will be at the Shakespeare/Pflueger booth all day.

On February 19 and 20, I'll be at the Miami Boat Show with Whitewater Boats. Come on by and say hello. You can meet and talk with Norman, Shane, and Cindi and find out all the details about this great fishing machine that I call my office.

See you out there on the edge.

Captain Dave Kostyo
Knot Nancy Fishing Charters
305 620-5896 Charter
305 965-9454 Cell
www.knotnancy.com
nkostyo@bellsouth.net
[signature]