Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friday's Fishin'
I got out just ahead of a major Pacific storm today and found the conditions almost pleasant - the calm before the storm. Pond fishing again. Water temp was a steady 45 degrees. Air temp was about 55 degrees. Only a few showers but major storm warnings posted with coastal wind gusts of 100 MPH predicted. The predictions nearly put me off but once I got there I was glad I went.

Started out on my favorite lake and persuaded this Golden to eat my beaded bugger fly.

[Image: gol-1.jpg]

I hooked one more but did an LDR (Long Distance Release) on him.

The bite was slow so I got back into the truck and drove to another pond. This one didn't have the catch and release rules so I figured the fish would be smaller. They were. All were rainbows and they were very active. This first one was caught on a boobie (floating fly on a fast sinking fly line.)

[Image: boobytrout.jpg]

Next I tried a bit of chironomiding with an indicator.

[Image: chironomiding.jpg]

I caught a few using this method but it was very slow as only a few midges were emerging. Went to a Beadhead Seal Bugger/Wooly Bugger to finish off the day. Total score was 1 Golden and 18 Rainbows. Here are a few of the bows.

[Image: troutster-1.jpg]

[Image: troutster-2.jpg]

[Image: troutster-3.jpg]

[Image: troutster-4.jpg]

[Image: troutster-5.jpg]

[Image: troutster-6.jpg]

[Image: troutster-7.jpg]

[Image: odc-1.jpg]

I'll look forward to seeing pics from some other forum members once you all can get back out to the lakes.

zonker
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Nice pictures and good report...as usual. Glad you were able to beat the weather and a few fish while you were at it. Good stuff.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I got in a couple of hours of ice fishing on one of the local lakes (Jordanelle). We did not start fishing until about 1 PM, long after the morning bite was over. I only got two rainbows. As you can see in the attached pics, it will be a few days until I can float my boat on that pond. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are some of the lower elevation lakes that will be tubeable in the next week. I have plans for some "soft water" trips soon.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool]Those icy pictures make me appreciate Oregon in the winter! Good job. Makes me feel like I'm there.

You mentioned "after the morning bite was over." Never having fished through the ice, it never occurred to me that fish would still be very sensitive to time of day when they are covered by a thick sheet of ice and a layer of snow. Seems like it would always be dark in their winter world except for those places where you guys drill your holes. I learn new things all the time.

z~
[signature]
The fish finder... I wonder if it works thur the ice? Did u have to walk around to find the hot spot with it? If u found a fishy spot and stopped there then drilled a hole, I wonder if you did leave the finder on right there and drilled did the fish shatter the area? I always wonder about the drilling or chopping ice would spook the fish? Are they any differ from soft water and hard water with something that is over head?
[signature]
Boy! You're lucky to get out to fish! Last week the weather was about 40's to 50's, tonight it is snowing and at about 25 right now! Seems like the snow skips you and dumps it on me![Tongue]
Did you have a dinner on those rainbows that were allowed to keep?
[signature]
HOLY FROST BITE BATMAN! I REALY DON'T ENVY THE WINTERS SOME OF YOU HAVE...............IF IT'S BELOW 50 I DON'T GO OUTSIDE [Wink].

AT
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]No doubt about it. There are a lot of things different about ice fishing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]ZONKER: The reference to "morning bite" is a current thing. All of the other successful anglers on Jordanelle have been reporting that the best bite has been early in the morning. That can vary from lake to lake, species to species and even day to day. Lots of factors involved. Also a good excuse when you don't get many later in the day.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There is no doubt about it. The deeper the snow on top of the ice, and the thickness of the ice itself, contribute to lower light levels. However, there is still twilight visibility down to some pretty deep water. Many ice anglers carry AquaView cameras and send them down to locate fish and watch their actions and reactions to the lures. The water is also clearer in winter, with no wave action and lower plankton and algae levels.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]SONAR THROUGH THE ICE?: Many sonar systems will "shoot" through ice. However, you need to have the transducer either positioned in a puddle on the ice or inside a water-filled bag or bucket. You can't just carry it around, waving it over the ice like a metal detector. Also, the readings are not as good. You can get accurate depth readings but the sensitivity to show fish is reduced.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]FINDING FISH: Locating fish beneath the ice is not much different than in open water. You do better if you know the contour of the lake bottom, and depths...along with the habits of the species you are targeting. It helps to have recent reports of what depths the fish are holding and the best areas. Then, using your powers of clairvoyance, you predict where the fish will be and drill a hole. If you see fish on your sonar, you drop your bait and/or lure to the proper depth and begin fishing. If not, and if you are too pooped to drill any more holes, you fish anyway, hoping the fish will come to you.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]SPOOKING FISH UNDER THE ICE: Some species are a lot more sensitive than others. Some fish actually seem to be attracted by the commotion of drilling holes. Trout can be either on any given day. Sometimes they begin smacking the jigs on the first "drop". Other times you have to wait for them to return to the area. It has been my experience that the less noise you make, the better the fishing is likely to be. I have had hot action ruined by other anglers that crowded in, used a power drill to punch a lot of holes and then did a lot of walking around and making noise. The fish signals on my sonar just disappear and do not return. That's when I try to find a new spot and hope the "social group" does not follow if I start catching more fish.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]DOES SONAR SPOOK FISH? Sonar works by sending electronic pulses toward the bottom and then measuring the distance on the return. It records not only the depth, but any "obstructions" (fish) the beam hits on the way down and back. Fish are sensitive to noise and vibrations. There is no doubt they hear or feel the pulses of the sonar. I also believe that some fish are more likely to be affected by it. However, sonar has helped me locate and catch a lot of fish, and I have taken a lot of them by vertical presentations, right under the sonar beam. So, I guess it does not drive them all away.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Typical California wimp. I used to was one.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I was born in Idaho, and grew up just taking snow and cold weather for granted. But, my family moved to Orange County (CA) when I was 11, and I got Californicated. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I quickly became a "son of the beach" and got really spoiled with the year round warm weather. Like most SoCal anglers, I got really bummed when there was a cool drizzle or the water temps got below 65 degrees. I do love that aspect of California. Not sure if the "other factors" are enough to offset it or not.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Moved out of California permanently in the late 70's, after living all over the state, from San Diego, Orange County, Oxnard, Santa Barbara and finally, several years in Sacramento. Over the years I lived there, I fished just about every mile of coastline and almost every pond and trickle in the state. Lots of good memories.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Since then, I have lived, worked and fished all over the country. We live in Utah now because that is where TubeBabe is from and we both have lots of family connections here. After spending several years in the heat of Arizona, I rationalize the winters here by telling people: "I can go out and play in the snow here, in the winter. In Arizona if I go out to play in the heat, in the summer, it will kill me."[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I actually did some ice fishing while living in Sacramento. I had a fishing buddy who lived up near Lake Tahoe and he would call me each winter when there was a "hard deck" on some of the lakes up in the Sierras. Had a lot of fun and learned to appreciate the sport. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Ice fishing has really become a big thing in Utah. In fact, many Utah anglers fish a lot more in the winter than they do in the summer. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
@Zonker
Sweet report, sweeter catch. I am green with envy.

@TD
At least you got to go fishing this winter. I still haven't and it's killing me. NY has been having temps up to 60, but still too much ice for open fishing.[mad]
Drove past Deer Creek on Friday morning. Between Wallsburg Bay and Rainbow Bay there was a huge gap in the ice, from shore to shore. Someone on a pontoon was fishing it. Lucky bugger[unsure]

-ABT-
[signature]
Got out myself Friday, just down the road from Tub Dude. Not into that ice thing, I was on the middle Provo, by the cliffs. Was using my 4wt bamboo, throwing out olive and black WD40's about #26. Caught a couple of dinks (6"-13"), was just enjoying being there. Sun came out and the fish were rising, so I threw out my #30 bunny (black with red rib and orange bunny wings, couldn't see the white wings with the glare on the water). Caught a couple more dinks, then I let the line drift into a small water fall, and out of the icy water came a head and a slam. Had to play him quite awhile with the current, 6X tippet, tiny fly and a full flex bamboo. Finally got him pulled to the shore line and reeled him up from there. Two gentlemen walked by just then and noticed me and fish. Have one of those zingers that is a tape measure, with my nippers attached. Laid the fish flat on the rocks, still in my net, released the hook, pulled my nippers across and .......22" hooked jaw brown. Asked one of the guys if he would take a picture, reached in my waders to get my camera, fish flipped and.....outta here, so no picture[Sad] All good though, what a rush with that rod.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sounds like a great battle and a classic ending. Who needs a picture. We are all fisherpersons here (PC). Of course we trust you.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I'll bet that was touch and go on the light wand and small fly. Even without a digital pic, I am sure the mental image will remain with you for many years.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]How was the condition on the larger fish? I have heard that a lot of the longer fish in there look anorexic.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks Tube Dude. He was long and lean, but, not too lean. He had some shoulders. The smaller ones were thin though.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Yeah, once they get over about 18" they can dine on the dinks. I once caught a big ol biggun on the Provo, just down from the trestle, that had the tail of a fairly large rainbow sticking out of its throat. Still had room left for a size 12 peacock nymph. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
Here is my fly tying photo base [url "http://www.pbase.com/albot/fly_tying"]http://www.pbase.com/albot/fly_tying[/url]
[signature]
Boy some of those are so tiny! I wonder that the trouts can see those "ant" better than us with glasses! I should take a picture of one that I found when I was there for my sister....
[signature]
I am sending one out to everyone on the Utah BFT fly swap, actually it will be a 32, I am almost out of 30's.
[signature]

[url "http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y221/streamer/SnowBunny.jpg"]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y221/streamer/SnowBunny.jpg[/url]

Fly Goddess,

I'm so streamer oriented the # 30 bunny as I stated sounded like a complete oxymoron. (Can you imagine zonker strips on a # 30 hook?) Now that I'm thinking straight (thanks to your pictures) I realize the bunny is none other than our own Snowshoe Hare. (very common up here in Canada) The hair from the "hare" would likely float those little tiny midges forever.

Check the link for an alternative to the foam "booby" tied with snowshoe hare and a zonker strip.
[signature]
Good looking fly!
[signature]