Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cabellas ... wow!
Just goit back from Utah today after being there for four days on business.
Stopped by the Cabellas Alpine store.
Whhoooaaa, what a store!
I want one here in NY. We have Gander Mountain but Cabella's prices and selection thrashes them.

-ABT-
[signature]
Cabela's is a cool store for sure, but on the non sale merchandise, Sportsmen's Warehouse beats them. You should be glad there isn't one in NY. At least when you order from the catalog, you only have to pay shipping. We have to pay shipping and tax. The store's prices are higher than the catalog to make up for the shipping (ex: cortland line $48. + $6.95 shipping = $54.95 and in the store it is $55. both have sales tax)
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]No doubt about it, Cabelas is "candyland" for fishermen and hunters. However, I will second what Flygoddess says. The store prices are typically higher than catalog prices. Probably because of the higher overhead to maintain that big ol' store.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Another thing I noticed, on my first and only visit to the tackletorium, was that they do not stock many of the specialty fly tying and lure making items I order online. I guess they have to decide which things are the best movers (profit) and sacrifice those little extras that not everybody buys. That's why I also buy from many other sources.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hope you have a chance to get back out here in the warmer months so that we can do some tubing together. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
In addition to what Tube Dude pointed out. I know from working at the local Orvis store (Vermont Based) that the buyers go generic. In the clothes end, we were getting sweaters and chords in March, when we who live here are in T-shirts and shorts by April[Wink]. But we had the liberty to buy fly material to suit our needs. I asked Lance and Ryan (Managers of the Cabela's fishing dept.) if they could do that cause I too was looking for a material that is common in this area. They both replied with No, we get what they send us. So sounds like we will have to stick to those other sourses and mail order.
[signature]
Cabellas is pretty pricey up where I live. I get all my fishing goods through bass pro shops[Smile]
[signature]
[cool]I agree, Cabellas ok. In two weeks I will be going through Vegas and I will stop in at Bass Pro to take a looksie. [Tongue] Maybe even pick up a few things. I still like Sportsmans Warehouse for selection though.
[signature]